should consenting death row inmates/life in prison be able to fight to the death

Poll

well?

yes
no

Author Topic: should consenting death row inmates/life in prison be able to fight to the death  (Read 3785 times)

its a fun idea to kick around but realistically will never happen, even with consenting inmates. its really easy to portray any society that does this as depraved. then again theres metric forgettons of research and gore and movie effects out there so idk

Yea you're right

well deathrace would be the best imo

Edit: whoops formatting
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 10:41:27 PM by Black and White »

you're right there really isn't any cons
well actually there would be quite a few cons
The cons would be cleaning it up
and....... yeah. they probably would be
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 10:41:40 PM by Foxscotch »

Yeah probably not a great idea

I wouldn't be surprised if desensitization to violence like mass shootings in america contributes to their frequency.

Yeah probably not a great idea

I wouldn't be surprised if desensitization to violence like mass shootings in america contributes to their frequency.

What about places like Sudan which have been in a constant state of conflict for decades? The average American hasn't personally witnessed a mass shooting, but take the average South Sudanese adult or Rwandan adult alive during the respective genocides in their countries and they've seen some stuff.

My math professor saw his brother hacked apart with a machete in Rwanda but as far as I know, he hasn't gone around craving blood and wishing for murder. The average American hasn't seen jack stuff in comparison.

Mass shootings account for ~1% 0.87% (according to the CRS) of victims of violent crime regardless iirc so that's low-hanging fruit.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 11:10:57 PM by Cappytaino »

it's those goddamn evil video games

What about places like Sudan which have been in a constant state of conflict for decades?
What do you mean? That's more or less my point, that I wouldn't be surprised if exposure to violence perpetuates violence. In the case of mass shooting specifically, I don't know whether it would literally just be a higher amount of copy-cats because of the mass media exposure or some other mechanism, but why else would there be so many in america specifically?

What do you mean? That's more or less my point, that I wouldn't be surprised if exposure to violence perpetuates violence. In the case of mass shooting specifically, I don't know whether it would literally just be a higher amount of copy-cats because of the mass media exposure or some other mechanism, but why else would there be so many in america specifically?
The genesis of the recent trend upwards in mass-shootings seems to be Columbine. It's incredibly difficult to profile mass-shooters, but a common trend among them is a desire for media exposure - otherwise they wouldn't leave behind manifestos to be published. If they were simply suicidal/homicidal and nothing more, you'd think they wouldn't bother to leave behind a document outlying their beliefs/motives - that's too much time and effort.

The genesis of the recent trend upwards in mass-shootings seems to be Columbine. It's incredibly difficult to profile mass-shooters, but a common trend among them is a desire for media exposure - otherwise they wouldn't leave behind manifestos to be published. If they were simply suicidal/homicidal and nothing more, you'd think they wouldn't bother to leave behind a document outlying their beliefs/motives - that's too much time and effort.
Might be a good idea to not make it a news marathon every time a shooting occurs if that's the case then

Might be a good idea to not make it a news marathon every time a shooting occurs if that's the case then
That would certainly reduce the appeal to the nutcases that just want to attract media attention to their beliefs/cause. Some shootings (like Columbine) are a combination of the aforementioned desire for attention but also a belief that they need to right wrongs done to them by the people or institution they are attacking (see the recent youtube HQ shooting as another example of this)

It's a multifaceted issue deeply rooted in media trends and mental illness.

Being jailed for 70 years is worse than being put to death.

I just wanna see some gladiator fights in 2018