Author Topic: explosionShape?  (Read 1919 times)

from rocket launcher

datablock ExplosionData(rocketExplosion)
{
  //explosionShape = "";
   explosionShape = "./explosionSphere1.dts";

soundProfile = rocketExplodeSound;

lifeTimeMS = 350;

particleEmitter = rocketExplosionEmitter;
   particleDensity = 10;
   particleRadius = 0.2;

emitter[0] = rocketExplosionRingEmitter;

faceViewer     = true;
   explosionScale = "1 1 1";

shakeCamera = true;
   camShakeFreq = "10.0 11.0 10.0";
   camShakeAmp = "3.0 10.0 3.0";
   camShakeDuration = 0.5;
   camShakeRadius = 20.0;

// Dynamic light
   lightStartRadius = 10;
   lightEndRadius = 25;
   lightStartColor = "1 1 1 1";
   lightEndColor = "0 0 0 1";

damageRadius = 3;
   radiusDamage = 100;

impulseRadius = 6;
   impulseForce = 4000;
};

how does explosionShape work? how would I go about creating a custom one (i have blender/dts plugin). i assume it's responsible for the shockwave effect when using default rocket. possible to make a slower or resized shockwave?

its basically a semi-transparent sphere with an animation on it that causes it to scale up. the animation's name i think is ambient (needs confirmation) and that's what's played when the explosion is created

i think like projectiles, explosion shape can't be colorshifted, so whatever textures you use on it will be applied in-game. so if you use a red texture for your explosion, the explosion shape will be red.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 04:27:42 PM by thegoodperry »

would a simple sphere with a basic scaling animation in blender be enough? then export to dts

yes, as long as it has a texture attached, and the scaling is done through a sequence named ambient:start and ambient:end (if using ports dts)

yes, as long as it has a texture attached, and the scaling is done through a sequence named ambient:start and ambient:end (if using ports dts)
im being dumb here. are those 1 frame sequences, ambient:start being a single frame at start size and ambient:end being a single frame at end size?

im being dumb here. are those 1 frame sequences, ambient:start being a single frame at start size and ambient:end being a single frame at end size?
if you're using new blender + port's dts exporter, ambient:start is a marker you place at the frame you want the animation to start at, and ambient:end is the animation conclusion marker

so if your animation is 30 frames, you'd put ambient:start at frame 0 and ambient:end at frame 29 and then it'll play frames 0-29 as that animation

if you're using new blender + port's dts exporter, ambient:start is a marker you place at the frame you want the animation to start at, and ambient:end is the animation conclusion marker

so if your animation is 30 frames, you'd put ambient:start at frame 0 and ambient:end at frame 29 and then it'll play frames 0-29 as that animation
i made the sequence go from 0 to 100 frames with ambient:start and ambient:end at either ends. doesn't work, in game it doesnt play the animation

heres the blend file
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ngr54artpvnuejx/sphere.blend?dl=0

i made the sequence go from 0 to 100 frames with ambient:start and ambient:end at either ends. doesn't work, in game it doesnt play the animation

heres the blend file
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ngr54artpvnuejx/sphere.blend?dl=0
does it show the sphere when the explosion happens?

does it show the sphere when the explosion happens?
yes, it spawns in at max size, how it should be at marker ambient:end. doesn't play the animation starting from marker ambient:start

yes, it spawns in at max size, how it should be at marker ambient:end. doesn't play the animation starting from marker ambient:start
ok thats weird. bear with me because the explosionShape isn't well documented.

try adding a tag called reference:start and reference:end just before ambient:start, it should be a 2-frame long animation or so of the explosion at its smallest
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 06:48:32 PM by thegoodperry »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1frU4SOooU-sDFhfiaoFWC8cyq8md3_3Q/view?usp=sharing

same thing, spawns in small then disappears after a sec. im probably doing something wrong with the markers.

hmm i guess i was wrong then. the explosion shape class is poorly documented and the only documentation i can find is for T3D, so i assume now maybe that feature wasn't added.

my only suggestion is to try a bunch of different names instead of ambient. like maybe explosion:start or explosion:end, or root:start, root:end, etc

or maybe even try the name of the explosion shape, like sphere:start or sphere:end

I think ambient is actually correct based on what I saw in explosionSphere1.dts. Could it be because he needs to set up a text object called Sequences and define it there?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1frU4SOooU-sDFhfiaoFWC8cyq8md3_3Q/view?usp=sharing

same thing, spawns in small then disappears after a sec. im probably doing something wrong with the markers.
your animation is too slow. if i recall, lifeTimeMS = 350; is the amount of time the explosion shape will be visible before it disappears, in this case you have it at 350 milliseconds (0.35 seconds) so its only playing the first 7 frames in your animation then disappearing.

edit: i didnt click on the second .blend file nvm
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 12:33:16 PM by Trogtor »