[blog] windows installing adventure

Author Topic: [blog] windows installing adventure  (Read 1510 times)

so this weekend i blew the better part of a saturday afternoon, and most of sunday, on trying to install windows on another hard drive.

it's a little faster, little newer, and four times as big as my current one - i had it mounted with a D:\ partition, but i thought it'd be better if i reinstalled windows to it to gain that extra speed as well

so it turns out that for some reason, the latest version of windows is absolutely dead loving set on not being installed properly there. i used the media creation tool to make a win10 usb, tried that - wouldn't boot, got stuck on the blue windows logo. made another one, wouldn't boot. i messed with every loving bios setting i could think of or find, fiddled with my ram (apparently corrupt ram can cause it, not my issue tho), fiddled with the two hard drives, cleaned my computer just for the hell of it, nothing worked.

eventually i downloaded an iso of an older version of windows, from 2016, and put that on a usb. it installed succesfully, which was all fine and dandy, but then i had to go through windows update. painfully, painfully slow windows update. it took me all of sunday to finish installing the updates one after the other, and when i finally went to install a feature update which i think would've brought the install to close to today (1804 maybe? so april if thats what the number meant), and i restarted my pc.

wouldn't boot. windows logo.

forget me, dude, it's a good thing i never uninstalled the copy of windows on the old hard drive. i switched back to it for now.
the cherry on the stuff cake is probably the fact that, as far as i can tell, i /have/ the latest version of windows on this hard drive. so my motherboard or bios or whatever are obviously compatible with it, which baffles me to no end

discuss this and other arcane computer related issues that prove your pc is probably haunted
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 08:04:57 AM by Tudoreleu »

http://disk-image.net

try using disk image trial to clone your current boot disk onto the new drive and then just plugging that on the sata plug your current boot drive is plugged onto

If you are making a Win10 disk installer make sure to format you USB to FAT32 and then make the installer. For some reason if the pendrive was formatted to NTFS then the computer won't boot up in UEFI mode (just in the legacy MBR mode)

If you are making a Win10 disk installer make sure to format you USB to FAT32 and then make the installer. For some reason if the pendrive was formatted to NTFS then the computer won't boot up in UEFI mode (just in the legacy MBR mode)

my usb was fat32, but i'm pretty sure my computer doesnt actually support uefi, it's a fairly old mobo

http://disk-image.net

try using disk image trial to clone your current boot disk onto the new drive and then just plugging that on the sata plug your current boot drive is plugged onto

i'm not really sure how that would make a difference; i used two different usbs with no difference, and got the same problem when i updated the version of windows which was already installed onto the new drive

i'm not really sure how that would make a difference; i used two different usbs with no difference, and got the same problem when i updated the version of windows which was already installed onto the new drive

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

this works, just grab an iso copy of win 10 and all your problems will be solved.

slightly on topic but a week ago my 4 year old windows install kicked the bucket. i was tempted to just reinstall windows but i ended up finally embracing linux instead of just using windows again. i've always preferred linux but used windows only for compatibility. with win 10 adding useless services and other crap that almost act like life support for the damn OS, i finally said forget it and installed fedora 28 on my main machine. i forgetin love it, i barely have time for games but man i love how speedy my main rig is now.

Next time you install windows unplug every single drive except for the one you're trying to install Windows on. Seems overly precautious but trust me, Windows installation is handicapped. It installed my boot volume on my Steam harddrive instead of my SSD that Windows was actually on so whenever I unplugged my Steam drive I couldn't boot from my SSD.

I remember in an LTT video Linus even said he's had this happen.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 01:46:00 PM by DurkaDude »

Next time you install windows unplug every single drive except for the one you're trying to install Windows on. Seems overly precautious but trust me, Windows installation is handicapped. It installed my boot volume on my Steam harddrive instead of my SSD that Windows was actually on so whenever I unplugged my Steam drive I couldn't boot from my SSD.

I remember in an LTT video Linus even said he's had this happen.

i tried this, only had the one drive in, made no difference

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

this works, just grab an iso copy of win 10 and all your problems will be solved.

slightly on topic but a week ago my 4 year old windows install kicked the bucket. i was tempted to just reinstall windows but i ended up finally embracing linux instead of just using windows again. i've always preferred linux but used windows only for compatibility. with win 10 adding useless services and other crap that almost act like life support for the damn OS, i finally said forget it and installed fedora 28 on my main machine. i forgetin love it, i barely have time for games but man i love how speedy my main rig is now.

like i said, i have succesfully installed an older version of w10 using rufus, but it still broke when i updated it. maybe it's worth trying again, though, with a newer iso

like i said, i have succesfully installed an older version of w10 using rufus, but it still broke when i updated it. maybe it's worth trying again, though, with a newer iso

grab a fresh iso from microsoft's site. you can if you use a non-windows os or just change your default agent in your browser to trick the site to downloading a iso.

grab a fresh iso from microsoft's site. you can if you use a non-windows os or just change your default agent in your browser to trick the site to downloading a iso.

the usbs i used were both made with microsoft's own media creation tool, though i am going to attempt just downloading the iso and using rufus to make my own