Memorial Thread [Goodbye formatted topics....]

Author Topic: Memorial Thread [Goodbye formatted topics....]  (Read 2759 times)

For all those who have fallen in the latest ban spree. RIP in peace blockheads...

https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=318867.msg9864687#msg9864687

it involved the table and the list elements in conjunction
ie something like this to get the text out of a few table elements
[list][list][list][table][tr][td][/list]
[list][table][tr][td][/list][/td][/tr][/table]
[list][table][tr][td][/list][/td][/tr][/table]Hey[/list][/list]

had nothing to do with it
and if anything you should just remove the list element since lists can be made with bullet point characters

in other words: [table ] and now do not work
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 04:17:03 PM by Conan »

anyone wanna explain the exploit now that its fixed?

anyone wanna explain the exploit now that its fixed?
To "fix" this issue, I have removed 'table', 'tr', and 'td' from the bbcode parser.  I don't know if this is enough.  As far as I can tell, the exploit just involves a bunch of tags screwing up the page layout and does not allow for arbitrary html injection.  If arbitrary code injection is possible, please notify me immediately.

I have banned the following people permanently for using the exploit to forget up otherwise functioning threads:
   lykakspars
   Punished Kidalex90
   simpletonnn
   maxxxx   
   zelau   
   Rally   
   thegoodperry

I have banned the following people for the standard one week for participating in the spam thread or messing up their profile:
   K3k0m@n
   Pecon
   Swollow
   two and a half limericks
   Gytyyhgfffff
   Copy Kirby
   Parlydogs22

EDIT: Just realized Badspot's quote was linked in OP. Oops.

i mean explain how it worked. like how did they use these tags to forget up the layout so much?

press f to pay respects idk

i mean explain how it worked. like how did they use these tags to forget up the layout so much?
The table, tr and td tags allowed for a user to mess with the layout of the page, so you could have, for example, an image on a user's profile be at the top before the actual profile layout was created.

People were using the tags to put huge text on top of pages, etc.

i mean explain how it worked
something like
Code: [Select]
[list][table][/table][/list]
test
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 04:09:09 PM by Conan »

rally didnt deserve a perma

The table, tr and td tags allowed for a user to mess with the layout of the page, so you could have, for example, an image on a user's profile be at the top before the actual profile layout was created.

People were using the tags to put huge text on top of pages, etc.
something like
Code: [Select]
[list][table][/table][/list]
i saw all the havoc it caused but i wanna know how they actually did it. or were people literally just spamming tags until it forgeted the html up somehow?

i saw all the havoc it caused but i wanna know how they actually did it. or were people literally just spamming tags until it forgeted the html up somehow?
what i posted was part of the contents of one of the posts by zealu on the "forget up this topic" thread prior to the forums going down for maintenance