Digital PTSD is real | The Outline

Author Topic: Digital PTSD is real | The Outline  (Read 1149 times)

https://theoutline.com/post/4543/journalists-ptsd-online-harassment-digital-ptsd-alt-right-white-nationalists?zd=1&zi=gcnzhaay

yeah i can imagine getting ptsd if you were actually at violent protest and maybe online death threats but you are reaching if you get ptsd from getting trolled or watching violent protests online

i can imagine getting ptsd if you were actually at violent protest
but you are reaching if you get ptsd from watching violent protests online
the unfortunate reality is that our brains are not meant for the internet. to your stupid hormonal body, seeing something on a tv screen is not seriously different from seeing it in person, which I imagine is not helped by huge screens with high-definition picture and surround sound

"Last year, the most dangerous place to be a journalist in America was at a protest."
Its still not dangerous tho

"Last year, the most dangerous place to be a journalist in America was at a protest."

/support

They can be a little dangerous, but I think being a war correspondent would be a lot more dangerous journalism than protest journalists

They can be a little dangerous
Sticks and teargas are definitely a risk when going, but not much else

protests are not dangerous

riots and street brawls are dangerous

i get death threats daily on twitter can i sign up

the TS in PTSD stands for "Traumatic Stress"

Since everyone handles stress differently, I'd imagine the bar for what counts as traumatic stress varies extremely from person to person. Some people here have proven that they get serious emotional investment in internet relationships and online social engagements and that could probably result in some heavy stress. Coupled with the ever-looming idea of private investigating and ddos attacks over mild sleights, the concept of getting PTSD from the internet doesn't seem too far-fetched.

Sticks and teargas are definitely a risk when going, but not much else
Im surprised after the whole "conservative pepsi" meme no one showed up as pepsiman.
I really wanted stickman and pepsiman to team up.