Author Topic: creating fake client objects (for offline testing)  (Read 2128 times)

im working with a gamemode heavily dependent on client objects and their fields (mafia madness too). i want to develop for it but a lot of the development interferes with the players on the server.

i was wondering if its possible to create dummy clients with player objects for use with the gamemode. is there a function that does this already, or should i just use scriptobjects and pass them into the gamemode as fake clients? can i do new GameConnection() or will that not work?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 08:59:13 PM by thegoodperry »

not publicly known as of now, and probably not without dll/dso to overwrite engine/default code. used to be possible, but that was like 4-5 years ago. was AIConnection.

fake clients by making scriptobjects with relevant fields assigned (like .name, .isAdmin, .bl_id, etc) to test. optionally multiclient, get/borrow an alt from someone, or something else of that nature.

that seems cool. can i use new GameConnection() { }; and populate it with client-like fields so it has access to all the gameConnection namespace methods?

yeah, but they wont show up on the player list. besides that they'll function as clients.

Creating custom game connections will crash your game

Creating custom game connections will crash your game
i was able to do it fine? i think issues only happen if you try to add them to player list or if you start authing them

Hmm, though I tried this years ago

Just run multiple clients. I've done it all the time for testing, it works fine

Just run multiple clients. I've done it all the time for testing, it works fine
my laptop has no battery, it was removed because it got fried. so my entire computer runs on like 30% of the power its rated for. running more than one instance of blockland will make dev unplayable for me, so its not an option