[HELP WANTED] WARATHONERS - AN UPCOMING TDM

Author Topic: [HELP WANTED] WARATHONERS - AN UPCOMING TDM  (Read 6263 times)

PROGRESS COUNT
WEAPONS: 18%
MAPS: 8.1%
GAMEMODES: 8%
MAIN CODE: 54.2%
VEHICLE SYSTEM: 94%
OVERALL TOTAL: 16.6%

Warathoners is an upcoming server where you co-operate with your team to complete a series of objectives in multiple gamemodes on large, open-world maps. You can spawn vehicles to get around the map quick and easy, but mostly to support your team. There are land, air, and yes - sea based vehicles to aid your team in all sorts of ways. Your goal depends on what gamemode is voted in the voting period, where you can DM in an all out randomizer filled with silly weapons of all kinds! (To be decided if it should also have music) You can also select a pre-made class or make your own, but be wary - certain weapons when in your inventory with certain weapons will increase or decrease your overall damage!

Our current staff members are:
  • Trinko (33152) [Host]
  • Visolator (48980) [CoHost]
  • Tophat (43023) [SA]
  • Redconer (33688) [A]
  • General R (16882) [A]
  • Caden100 (9890) [A]
  • Velor (28880) [A]
  • Drydess (31596) [A]
  • Lego Lad (22539) [A]
  • Burton (6911) [A]
If you ever have a problem, we are here for you.

At the moment, we are pretty low on builders and administrators (5 open positions). If you or a friend can build the following and would like to help us build:

• Props
  • Terrain work (modter)
  • Functional cover (places to hide by using clutter, etc.)
  • Foliage (making plants not look ugly)
  • Town building (for interaction on our large open world maps)

Please DM me on discord (@Trinko#2984) and I will tell you more from there.

Current builders:
  • DragonoidSlayer (29131)
  • Mega Bear (15972)
  • Velor (28880)
  • Burton (6911)
  • celau (53456)
  • Ranma (11167)
  • Salmon (???)
  • (possibly) Recon (42651)
  • (possibly) Spaffy (46069)

/discuss new stuff and the loss of tables
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 04:11:44 AM by Blockz »

This looks cool, but unfortunately I probably wouldn't have the patience to help build/code/administrate a TDM server. Not saying that I wouldn't be able to build or administrate for a different kind of server, though. I also wonder how you're able to get these precise percentages.
MAPS: 8%
GAMEMODES: 2%
MAIN CODE: 53%
VEHICLE SYSTEM: 89%
How do you do it?

maps is 8% because they spent more time on the logos in the thread rather than the maps

If you need 3D modelled brick wprops then I can help

vehicular combat in blockland is mediocre. hopefully you dont rely to heavily on it, because if you do its a slippery slope and you'll probably be left depressed that you built an entire month's worth of dev around a broken, mediocre system

@all the car/vehicle modelers who will probably start flying at me in blind rage, forget you. dogfight servers are trash and use gun combat as a poorly made crutch. even deathrace has major flaws with its shotgun-seat shooting and autistic controls. the only good vehicle based server is probably speedkart and even that has physics flaws
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 02:39:47 PM by thegoodperry »

dogfight servers are trash and use gun combat as a poorly made crutch.
Thats what dogfighting is though... alsoforgetyoutoo

vehicular combat in blockland is mediocre. hopefully you dont rely to heavily on it, because if you do its a slippery slope and you'll probably be left depressed that you built an entire month's worth of dev around a broken, mediocre system

@all the car/vehicle modelers who will probably start flying at me in blind rage, forget you. dogfight servers are trash and use gun combat as a poorly made crutch. even deathrace has major flaws with its shotgun-seat shooting and autistic controls. the only good vehicle based server is probably speedkart and even that has physics flaws
a lot of it has to do with the fact that the problem is made bigger by putting too many vehicles for the amount of players it attracts, and when this is fixed some autistic moron either A: shoots the vehicle or blocks it because they're handicapped or B: gets in the vehicle and either runs off by themselves or just crashes and accomplishes nothing. that being said, I've hosted a lot of very successful big map tdms and in my experience, most of strato's gen2 stuff is pretty good, it's just that it's never used or balanced out properly. I would gravitate towards that and finding a way to limit air vehicles, because mass air renders everything else completely redundant.

I'd love to help though, Red can vouch for me. I can build a little bit but I'm best at ironing out stuff that makes the game broken/imbalanced/allows handicaps to ruin stuff for everyone else.

Thats what dogfighting is though... alsoforgetyoutoo
well ideally a dogfight should be intense aireal combat but instead it's just oversensitive barf camera and 50% of your bullets miss due to client prediction issues. So instead the main crutch is the gunplay because clearly the dogfight can't hold itself up

Dogfighting in general is pretty bland since it's just aim and shoot with some dodging, and it's not like positioning matters at all since all combat takes place in empty space. Land vehicles are slightly better because you can have terrain obstacles and stuff. But building an entire dm around exclusively vehicles isnt smart
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 01:44:50 AM by thegoodperry »

Do you have a testing server up?  I want to see what weapons are going to be used.  And I want to see if the maps are anything considerable.

well ideally a dogfight should be intense aireal combat but instead it's just oversensitive barf camera and 50% of your bullets miss due to client prediction issues.
this is why when bushido made his dogfight stuff it was raycast

Dogfighting in general is pretty bland since it's just aim and shoot with some dodging, and it's not like positioning matters at all since all combat takes place in empty space. Land vehicles are slightly better because you can have terrain obstacles and stuff. But building an entire dm around exclusively vehicles isnt smart
at least when I hosted woke one of the things that made it slightly better was brick clouds, leading to some diversification of air combat and it worked pretty well(i think?). Ground vehicles are much better imo, especially in limited numbers
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 05:58:08 PM by Grimlock² »