Is it possible to make a computer in BL?

Author Topic: Is it possible to make a computer in BL?  (Read 2081 times)

Title.

I'm not talking about a visual related one. ex: Windows 95 to Windows 10.
But my Idea would be mainframe like. And if one has ever been evented/built, I think It'd be a lot of Relays, Delays, And Eventenabled Events.

Also, I was going to plan on attempting to make one, But I never could get an idea of what the purpose of it would be.

if you're looking for an evented one thats probably next to impossible

but i think bl-browser could be used for a computer-type project, unless that falls under visual

but i think bl-browser could be used for a computer-type project, unless that falls under visual
I won't be planning to make a MS-DOS Clone soon. But there has to be an addon that removes all eventing limitations. Right?

start with a calculator i guess

"Logic Bricks" might be capable of doing what you describe although that would have such performance issues that Blockland would probably not even run at a reasonable frame-rate.

Yes, I made a few back in the day. The CPU consisted of dozens of 1x1 plates with different events. The keyboard and controls would relay the "program" (evented 1x1) to draw on the screen. VCE is a must.

Yes and no. You could make it but it'd be slow as stuff. I mean like a simple computation like 2+2 would take like 33ms, compared to the engine's .001ms addition. If you made a computer it would probably be as slow and limited as the Difference Engine. Logic bricks speed up computations a bunch but it's not that fast

Yes, I made a few back in the day. The CPU consisted of dozens of 1x1 plates with different events. The keyboard and controls would relay the "program" (evented 1x1) to draw on the screen. VCE is a must.
https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=155038.0
You guys are overcomplicating things

start with a calculator i guess
got bored, made a calculator. needs vce thats all
i'm actually really pissed that concatenation isn't an operation in vce or advvce because it's really useful. oh well though
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 08:14:10 PM by Drydess »

Wasn't there an entire clan dedicated to this?

The most I ever did was make some simple functions like addition and subtraction, along with a keyboard with which typing in certain keystrokes would put some special things on the monitor.

I believe events can be turing-complete using relays and toggles. So, yeah. You’d need a really long line of bricks though.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 12:36:51 AM by Scout31 »

I believe events can be turing-complete using relays and toggles. So, yeah. You’d need a really long line of bricks though.
You might end up hitting the quota limit though.

You might end up hitting the quota limit though.
almost certainly, but fortunately you can increase the quota limit/replace quota objects as necessary

and to further answer’s op’s question, theoretically yes. all it takes is the ability to simulate signals in wires, and for the signals to be able to be toggled on and off