Author Topic: Anyone use Duolingo?  (Read 1393 times)

Just curious to see if anyone here uses/used Duolingo

Impressions? Did it help you learn the language? Did you use any additional tools to help you learn?

I have been working on the German tree for about 3 months now and I'm about 2/3rds the way through. I feel like I can read fairly well but I still struggle with grammatically forming sentences.

nice!!! it's always great to see a fellow aryan learning the language of our people!

i went through russian, french, and swahili with it. swahili is really the only one i got too much out of with it because there's not a huge focus on grammar for swahili
duolingo objectively has the best program for memorizing vocabulary but it's really lacking on literally any other linguistic function

I was using it to learn Spanish about a year ago but after about a month it got to the point where every day it would set me back by the same amount of segments that I was willing to complete so I wound up dropping it because I was no longer making any progress.

i went through russian, french, and swahili with it. swahili is really the only one i got too much out of with it because there's not a huge focus on grammar for swahili
duolingo objectively has the best program for memorizing vocabulary but it's really lacking on literally any other linguistic function
I have found their little "lectures/readings" slightly useful before beginning a lesson and I feel like Im picking up some from repetition but yeah I've had to look elsewhere to go beyond just memorization. Also, the mobile app doesn't include the little lectures which sucks

the bird intimidates me

I like it, but drydess is right that it doesn't teach you much aside from vocabulary alone. you are pretty much expected to infer grammar rules and stuff like that

i did duolingo german along with a german class i was taking in real life. it was my personal choice to do it, i didn't have to. anyways, it helped while i took the class, but after that anything i learned from duolingo didn't stick. results may vary. i'm just very incapable of learning languages without an actual teacher i guess lol

i was tryna learn spanish on it, so far so good

i got recommended to use it so

memrise is better for me, I use quizlet for studying other things that aren't languages

memrise is better for me, I use quizlet for studying other things that aren't languages
I have both apps on my phone and like memrise better for reinforcing the vocab but I have used it way less consistently than duolingo