How fast would a Blockland Jeep in real life be?

Author Topic: How fast would a Blockland Jeep in real life be?  (Read 1985 times)

How fast is a Blockland Jeep if it existed in real life?
First, we have to find out the width of a stud, which is, let's just say 6 inches.
That makes the Jeep exactly 6 feet, the average length of a car, but too small for a Blockland player, but who cares.
Okay, with that done, how do we find the speed of a Jeep?

Off topic here, I created a 1,920 stud x 1,080 stud sheet in Blockland to determine how big an HD screen actually is. It's pretty big, but the length is less than 10,560 studs. (Mile)

I timed going across the 1,920 studs. It took ~32 seconds.
So that means I am going 60 studs per second; 30 feet per second, which roughly translates to 20.45 repeating mph. (32.92kph)
Now, Since I liked doing this, I decided to do the same for something else.
Doing jet+crouch+jump is a 35mph (56.33kph) journey, so it's not really much compared to an everyday vehicle going an average speed.
The road to Ice Palace is ~134 64x64 baseplates, which is 8,704 studs.
That means one's going 20mph through a 4,352 foot (.8242mi, 1.3264km) road at 20mph, which is a 1:25 second one-way trip.
Going 60mph would take 48 seconds.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OK, I really got bored of it while typing this, so you guys can keep going in the replies, I might look over it next time I come on the BL forums.

It makes me wonder how long it took you to create these calculations

this reminds me of my stupid Blockhead height calculations. I must say, your work is much better than mine.

Another thing to consider is that the jeep is a bitch at steering.

if you hit anything too fast it bounces and turns over

First, we have to find out the width of a stud, which is, let's just say 6 inches.
i would say a stud is about 10-11 inches because the blockhead's foot fits perfectly inside a stud. height is harder to calculate because if i'm not mistaken a 1x1 brick is taller than it is wide.

if you hit anything too fast it bounces and turns over
tires with the grip of super glue but the buoyancy of an over-inflated dodge ball.

You could easily figure this out exactly if you created a vertical rig with severable triggerable zonebricks that tracks the timing of a falling player. In the game, acceleration is set at 9.8 m/s^2 in the source code (I remember a topic talking about this several years ago, so I'm guessing it's correct). I recommend using smaller zonebricks close together near the start of the fall to avoid significant drag effects.

By measuring the distance between the top of the highest zonebrick and the top of the lowest zonebrick (in brick_heights) and also by calculating the time it took to travel that distance, plug those values into one of the kinematic equations (Δd = (1/2)*a*Δt^2) to yield the acceleration in units of [brick_heights/s^2]. Divide 9.8 m/s^2 by this number to yield a meter-to-brick_heights ratio. To convert brick_heights to brick_widths, measure the height of the player model standing up using brick_heights, then lay down and measure the height of the player model using brick_widths.

Some more conversion and you get brick_widths to meters (or feet). This same zonebrick technique can be used for horizontal velocity.

A stud is a stud, you can't say it's only half

I have no actual answers to contribute to this but I scale my vehicles as though a stud is 10 inches in length.

at this scale, the highest speed possible in blockland is slower than a veyron, which is disappointing

You're probably really close, I'd say the jeep goes between 20-24mph.
I was told that a 1x1f is (in X Y Z) .5 x .2 x .5 Torque Units. .2 being height. But then after this, it's only assumptions. Because assuming the Blockhead is 6 feet tall, and roughly 13 1x1fs high, that makes 2.6 Torque Units on the Y Axis = 6 feet. But crouching, which is 5 and a half 1x1fs (5 and a half studs) for the blockhead, gives you 2.75 Torque Units on the X & Z Axis to = 6 feet. So that means it's probably not totally even in scale, or I was eyeing this wrong.

The jeep doesn't ever go faster/slower during driving unless you turn, hit something, let go of forward, or etc. It does take a split second to reach that speed though. And with that, it took the jeep about 3 seconds to go 100 studs. Which then adds up to 145 seconds for a mile worth of studs (assuming 5.5 studs is equal to 6 feet), or 24 miles an hour.

So.. It's somewhere between your guess and mine I'd figure. Not really easy to know because a stud's length vs height isn't defined in the imperial system by Badspot, if they even are different and I'm not just terrible at estimating.

Jeez, I never really thought about calculating all this stuff.

Let's assume a 2x2 is about 1ft.

Let's assume a 2x2 is about 1ft.

Then everything is incredibly small.