Author Topic: [Scenario] Blockland becomes Free to Play.  (Read 3189 times)

What reason would it have to go free to play without any sort of way to make income?
Sure the master server could be run cheap, but I know for a fact Badspot wouldn't run this game on 0 income.
Especially since he would have to put in extra work just to kill the income off in the first place. The BL_ID system, authentication, and the forums would all have to change just to make less money.

Honestly I think it's a good idea at this point. Badspot has no real way of keeping the game interesting. He's done with major updates. If the game went free it would attract a lot more attention from people which might warrant a donation page. If he then realizes that the game is attracting a stuff load of people because it went free, lets say, 20,000 - he might consider making another huge change to the game or two.
What reason would it have to go free to play without any sort of way to make income?
Sure the master server could be run cheap, but I know for a fact Badspot wouldn't run this game on 0 income.
Especially since he would have to put in extra work just to kill the income off in the first place. The BL_ID system, authentication, and the forums would all have to change just to make less money.
Is he actually still making money from this game? Is it even enough to sustain his lifestyle at this point in time? I want to see some sales records.

Once a game is paid, you can't undo it.

Why?

That would piss off the entire community because they would realize they wasted money.

looks like you missed General Discussion

but free to play doesn't always include micro transactions, watch your mouth young man
unless its by EA

Once a game is paid, you can't undo it.

Why?

That would piss off the entire community because they would realize they wasted money.

To be honest, I think that the community would be fine with it because it would give a chance to revive the community. I personally wouldn't feel like I wasted my money because I got my moneys worth back in the day.

Is he actually still making money from this game? Is it even enough to sustain his lifestyle at this point in time? I want to see some sales records.
hes not making 0 money, this argument is moot. bl isnt his main source of income, but as long as its not zero its still paying for at least its own master server, even only partially

win at tournaments every time fighting players that don't know the power of spiral missile

win at tournaments every time fighting players that don't know the power of spiral missile
lawful evil

hes not making 0 money, this argument is moot. bl isnt his main source of income, but as long as its not zero its still paying for at least its own master server, even only partially
More microtransactions = More money

say people who actually bought blockland get blockland gold

Remember when TF2 wasn't F2P?
If blockland becomes free, an infinitely huge load of noob kids will probably invade the game, then eric hartman will add microtransactions and premium stuff, then the blockland gold thing may become real, because [BLOCKLAND GOLD REQUIRED] and you will only have bl gold if you either buy it, or have paid blockland before the free-to-play update

Best free-to-play is the kind where, while you are playing the game, the game uses a bit of power from your computer to mine bitcoins. Game creators are happy 'cause they get to eat and stuff AND you're happy because it's not pay-to-win! Pretty good solution, with maybe a few flaws.

Best free-to-play is the kind where, while you are playing the game, the game uses a bit of power from your computer to mine bitcoins. Game creators are happy 'cause they get to eat and stuff AND you're happy because it's not pay-to-win! Pretty good solution, with maybe a few flaws.
this is not correct since it impacts users on good computers disproportionately