Which program should i use for modeling

Author Topic: Which program should i use for modeling  (Read 2068 times)

/title

i want to know what would be the best program for modeling weapons bricks and other things in BL

Blender is free and has a lot of documentation online, but doesn't have built in DTS exporting (although there are plugins you can install). Most active modders use Blender so you can get a lot of support from the community

Milkshape 3D (MS3D) is a paid alternative with built in DTS exporting (+ some animation capabilities not possible through Blender), but there's less support within the community as few people use it.

Alternatively, you could use any other modeling program of your choice and only use Blender to export. PhantOS for example uses Sketchup (the Superior Modeling Tool™) and uses Blender to export as DTS.

If you have absolutely no experience modeling, Blender is probably where you should start. It might seem overwhelming at first, but the UI makes sense after some time. You can also try out Tinkercad (an online modeling program) if you want to try modeling on a simpler-to-learn platform first

You can also get help at the Blockland Content Creator Discord, which you can join through the link below
https://discord.gg/xfPqWKS

SketchUp is the Superior Modeling Tool™ so that's always a good start. It's really easy to create fast models in SketchUp but you need to use blender as an export medium in order to get it into blockland. Blender exporting takes about 60% of the modeling process time to complete for me so it's a little tedious but if you streamline your model design efficiency at some point it definitely goes faster

Milkshake is pretty inferior Imo. I bought it back when new dts exporter didn't exist and it really did suck. It's basically a severely downgraded blender. It offers joint and bone animation for dts but nothing needs that except like really complex vehicles or playertype models
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 12:16:44 PM by thegoodperry »

If you have a program already and you're wondering how to start I suggest getting a 2d image reference of what you're trying to model and drawing vertices over the reference. Many new modelers start their models by placing primitives and extruding each one but that's a bad idea because you have no chance to adjust the proportions for the wholistic design

blatant lie
have you seen my arsenal of superior models made exclusively in SketchUp?

if you put in an hour or two and learn blender instead of sketchup you will be far far far better off, as far as I'm concerned sketchup shouldn't be used for modelling at all its for real world engineering design like building interiors/exteriors and landscaping

using software you’re already comfortable with can speed up your process, as for phantos who already had significant sketchup experience going into bl modding. if you are starting from scratch, though, you most likely want to pick blender like swollow suggested so you dont confuse yourself with object formats and the like when moving models between tools

this is wrong and was proved
it was proved by someone who made an identical repluca of a model I had already made. It took me 11 minutes to make because I had to plan it out. Pomp already had the entire model to see.

I don't care enough to do a model off with him because competition is stupid

Both SketchUp and blender are great programs but they have different scopes. SketchUp is intended for sketching and low polygon draft models while blender is for professional models. Obviously blender has a thousand more capabilities but the scope of 90% if blockland models is low polygon, and SketchUp happens to excel in that department. If you're making models for forgetin unreal or a AAA title you wouldn't use blender you'd use 3ds max or Maya. You can use Maya for blockland too but its out of scope and naturally blender and SketchUp would be better suited. That doesn't mean they're superior Modeling programs, just means they're better suited, that's all.

People have this debate all the time with Unreal vs Unity. People see all the high quality triple a games made in unreal and all the ugly games made in Unity and say "wow unreal must be superior" but in reality those game companies with 400 people are using unreal because it suits the scope of their game and it's graphics. An indie developer would save so much time using unity because it's better suited towards smaller games. Sure you could try unreal but it'd be slightly less efficient because it's tailored for large game projects that push the limits
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 11:22:40 AM by thegoodperry »

Also what Conan said is true. Once you get good at a program you move faster in it. Imo SketchUp has a lower entry barrier than blender, it took me like a week to figure out how to model in SketchUp and in blender I've been using it for 2 years so far and I still can't model for stuff because of how many separate key commands I need. However, once I learn how to model in blender I'll probably have a large swath of available assets and versatility at my disposal , while SketchUp will kinda stay the same.

Blender

Easy to get started on and there's literally addons for it so you can export and sometimes import models for BL as well

Thanks for helping and giving suggestions guys c: