[NEWS] Walmart is taking a direct shot at Amazon and making checkout lanes obsol

Author Topic: [NEWS] Walmart is taking a direct shot at Amazon and making checkout lanes obsol  (Read 3648 times)

Walmart is rolling out a new technology in its stores that enables shoppers to scan and pay for their items without checkout lanes, registers, or cashiers.

Here's how it works: shoppers download Walmart's "Scan & Go" app, then scan the barcodes of the items they wish to purchase.

Once they are finished shopping, they click a button to pay for their goods and show their digital receipt to a store greeter on their way out the door.

Amazon revealed plans in December to introduce a similar technology to its own brick-and-mortar grocery concept, called Amazon Go, which is still in the planning phases.

But Walmart is leaping ahead of Amazon and already rolling it out to more than a dozen stores in Texas, Florida, South Dakota, Arkansas, Georgia, and Kentucky.

For shoppers without smartphones, the retailer provides hand-held scanners. The stores also have options for customers who don't want to link up a credit card to their Scan & Go accounts.

Those customers can simply click "finish" on the app, then report to a self-checkout register where they will scan a barcode for their total purchase and pay for their goods.

who the forget still goes to stores to shop lmfao

i work at walmart and let me tell you, too many loving people shop in stores

i work at walmart and let me tell you, too many loving people shop in stores

my grandma works at walmart

are you my grandma brother?

honestly forget amazon and walmart fr

i mean theres a lot of things that you cant get online in certain parts of the world

eg: groceries

I have yet to see a grocery ordering program online that doesn't suck or doesn't have a limited selection of items

Here's how it works: shoppers download Walmart's "Scan & Go" app-

No.

If I go into a damn store, they best have a way for me to buy stuff without my damn cell-phone.
This app stuff needs to die off.

No.

If I go into a damn store, they best have a way for me to buy stuff without my damn cell-phone.
i agree, i dont know if they have this in the US but in europe we can just scan our bank pass to pay up to adjustable daily limit, this is 100x easier than an app or e-wallet or apple wallet or whatever (however you can also scan your phone)

we use the same system for public transportation, you scan your card on a pole when you get on a train or bus and then scan again when you leave.

because of this i basically never have cash on me tho and a lot of ppl i know dont either
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 07:02:52 PM by hootaloo »

i agree, i dont know if they have this in the US but in europe we can just scan our bank pass to pay up to adjustable daily limit, this is 100x easier than an app or e-wallet or apple wallet or whatever (however you can also scan your phone)
No.

you guys dont seem to understand that you dont have to wait in line for the cash register

you guys dont seem to understand that you dont have to wait in line for the cash register
HONESTLY i dont mind waiting a minute also ive literally gotten 200$ worth of free groceries due to store policy about lines so ehhh

Are you really too lazy to wait in a line? What do you do? Ubereats everything to your house?

if you're going to use your phone to buy stuff might as well do it from home instead of going to the store

Are you really too lazy to wait in a line? What do you do? Ubereats everything to your house?
inb4 millenials are too lazy to do anything

literally the entire point of technology is to make things easier, this makes things easier because i dont have to wait in line

if your such a loving elitist about not being lazy go back to loving sending me letters through pigeons instead of using the internet.

or how about go cook all your food on a fire made with sticks in your back yard if you hate change so much

today i woke up to the alarming sound of my alarm clock and put on my clothes via android gf and brushed my teeth with an electric toothbrush. i went to the lg fridge to grab some whole milk when i realized stuff we dont have any. i grab my keys, kiss my gf adios and get in my tesla model s. it's great i don't even have to do anything it drives on its own. i get to walmart and make fun of people who haven't taken on to get better technology like the cavepeople they are and grab milk. i go to self-checkout because stinky old people died when the ceo told them to piss off and buy milk. i wave goodbye to old lady 1010101 and go home to faceforget my gf in her powerpusillanimous individual while my terminator child babbled code into his junk to download procrastination. i finish the day by pouring milk to short circuit my cyborg family and shoot myself with a 12 gauge kurt cobain style.