Author Topic: steam is trying to be discord and discord is trying to be steam  (Read 2111 times)

hopefully discord know what the forget is up and makes something better than steam so they can stop having a monopoly

game retail platform wars the new browser wars?

can't we just bring back mumble

i dont use steam chat and i dont use discord overlay

now we wait for the merger

hopefully discord know what the forget is up and makes something better than steam so they can stop having a monopoly

game retail platform wars the new browser wars?
why do you want this unironically? leaving my games for some games in a hippie Mastodon type bullstuff service isn't exactly what I have in mind

this actually looks pretty cool, + free nitro games is nice so idk what you're complaining about

why do you want this unironically? leaving my games for some games in a hippie Mastodon type bullstuff service isn't exactly what I have in mind
i mean. you don't have to stop using steam.

But honestly. If Discord offers any level of quality control, it's better than steam. like. there's been so much bullstuff going on with steam store-wise that I've been wanting to stop using it anyway.

also steam is loving SLOW compared to discord

this. i hate how much CPU usage it takes sometimes sitting in the background doing loving nothing

It's even worse in VR.
Whenever I try to play Beat Saber, steam starts a completely useless process called 'steamtours' and it just constantly uses up 30+% CPU. It's not even important for the game and ending the process does not cause any problems.

i was actually talking about how it takes 3 hours to do anything in the web browser or download stuff but yes that too is awful with steam

in this day and age people are too much of a bitch to look past surface issues and settle with a pretty decent api

lmfao

'pretty decent api'

and then we remember steamspy.
steamspy was an amazing tool for players and developers alike. It hurt all the shovel ware, asset flips, and overall stuffty games. Some developers who have made some pretty successful games even claim that they were only able to get their game off the ground because of steamspy.

So what does Steam do? Stops doing any quality control and made every single profile have games private by default. The first thing is there to support all the stuffty games that inevitably get bought and this helps increase their personal cash flow. Then the second thing took away the very information steamspy needed to run. Because they don't care about how successful a good game can be, they just want games to sell at all, and why would they waste their own server resources making sure the quality ones are the ones bringing in money?

They don't even have a basic loving testing checklist for games. Executables can just not even exist and the game can ship without even being able to run. It can be loaded with viruses, mining bots, and even spyware. "Hey look a fun new popular meme game" whoops you got ratted, thanks steam.

Steam used to be great. But it's rolling downhill. These are not just surface issues. These are real legitimate issues that hurt the platform as a whole. And I will gladly jump ship even if it means using several different launchers.

maybe one day we'll say "hey remember when discord was only a chat program?"