RIP Emulators and ROMs

Author Topic: RIP Emulators and ROMs  (Read 13459 times)

i think its more about being able to play games that as far as public consumption goes: arent playable otherwise because either the company that made it doesn't exist anymore or there are incredibly scarce copies that run in hundreds of dollars that these developers will never see anyways. its not just nintendo games
if there are literally no copies in existence then i guess its slightly justifiable, but its infinitely more justifiable and legal for a company to sue people for giving out unauthorized digital copies of their own content. The justification of nintendo's action far outweighs the justification of using an emulator to play a game that doesn't exist so the entire argument is moot in the end.

child i work 45 hours a week and i exchange my money for goods because im a loving adult. im not into all this loving emulating and pirating bullstuff. even if the game is 20 years old you're still taking a good without paying for it and that loving hurts the company because you could be spending that on a remake of that product or a reboot or some stuff. just saying "oh its too old they dont make money anymore" is loving handicapped and anyone with that mindset understands nothing about economics
That maybe true for the classics like Super Mario World and Banjo Kazooie, etc, but what about the games that AREN'T being sold ANYWHERE!?
Sorry, but they aren't selling EVERY old game ANYWHERE, hell the Nintendo Switch doesn't even loving have a Virtual Console.  Some Games that fall under those previous categories, if you can find them, can cost upwards of 200, 300 bucks sometimes more.

Sorry if you think that's reasonable because in some alternate universe, there is a Switch Virtual Console that Sells Clay Fighters Director's Cut, and Nintendo is losing money.

That maybe true for the classics like Super Mario World and Banjo Kazooie, etc, but what about the games that AREN'T being sold ANYWHERE!?
Sorry, but they aren't selling EVERY old game ANYWHERE, hell the Nintendo Switch doesn't even loving have a Virtual Console.  Some Games that fall under those previous categories, if you can find them, can cost upwards of 200, 300 bucks sometimes more.

Sorry if you think that's reasonable because in some alternate universe, there is a Switch Virtual Console that Sells Clay Fighters Director's Cut, and Nintendo is losing money.
if there are literally no copies in existence then i guess its slightly justifiable, but its infinitely more justifiable and legal for a company to sue people for giving out unauthorized digital copies of their own content. The justification of nintendo's action far outweighs the justification of using an emulator to play a game that doesn't exist so the entire argument is moot in the end.

Please, tell me how you dump cartridge's rom. If you're so in tune with all this, you should know how that works, and why the "just take it from your legal copy" argument is handicapped.
More to the point, taking down romhacks is even worse, because the hacks don't even violate copyright so long as they are in their patch form.

And no matter how many times angry fanboys scream in the youtube comments otherwise, Emulation is legal.

Also, if you guys want to know how forgeted the cease and desists are:

A developer spent 10 god damn years making a remake for Metroid 2 called AM2R out of love for the series, only to have the download links taken down by Nintendo due to a DMCA. But, before you all jump onto the hate train, Metroid 2 was already getting a remaster so it is understandable for why it was taken down. That still doesn't excuse someone's YEARS of hard work being taken down.

Look

I'm not 100% emulating, one thing that I find wrong about emulation is when you emulating recent consoles and games, because that is a threat to the gaming industry.

When I was still new to emulation, I had the same views as drydess and thegoodperry, I found emulation ilegal and unethical, but then I soonly realize that the developers weren't caring anymore for the old games

A developer spent 10 god damn years making a remake for Metroid 2 called AM2R out of love for the series, only to have the download links taken down by Nintendo due to a DMCA. But, before you all jump onto the hate train, Metroid 2 was already getting a remaster so it is understandable for why it was taken down. That still doesn't excuse someone's YEARS of hard work being taken down.
Especially since AM2R and the Metroid 2 Remaster are completely different levels of quality

It's literally nintendo's rightful property. they paid developers to make these games from the ground up and marketed them and produced them, and the developers worked day and night to make sure it was enjoyable and fun and operational. Just because 20 years has passed since the game's release doesn't mean that they just lose the rights to that property. They can do with it what they please whether it be make a remake or take all sources of it off of existence. It belongs to them and you're only as entitled to own a copy of that content as nintendo allows you to be.

Please, tell me how you dump cartridge's rom. If you're so in tune with all this, you should know how that works, and why the "just take it from your legal copy" argument is handicapped.
More to the point, taking down romhacks is even worse, because the hacks don't even violate copyright so long as they are in their patch form.

And no matter how many times angry fanboys scream in the youtube comments otherwise, Emulation is legal.
Emulation is legal but the roms themselves are illegal. Romhacks are basically just pre compiled bullstuff that uses the rom's hooks to add content to it, so it contains fragments of the rom in it obviously, making that romhack partially nintendo's property. Just because you harvest it from a legitimate copy and distribute it doesn't mean it's suddenly void of copyright. Replication of a product means you're just creating a copy of the product and it's still illegal

what does this have anything to do with emulation

Look

I'm not 100% emulating, one thing that I find wrong about emulation is when you emulating recent consoles and games, because that is a threat to the gaming industry.

When I was still new to emulation, I had the same views as drydess and thegoodperry, I found emulation ilegal and unethical, but then I soonly realize that the developers weren't caring anymore for the old games
This actually is justifiable, and I can also understand why I was sent a Cease and Desist, but I also remember that the Wind Waker HD is also 5 years old and that the Wii U was a failure, which makes the game something that so many will never get to enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 10:18:43 PM by Nigel The Protagonist »

what does this have anything to do with emulation

It doesn't, but it does show how forgeted up Nintendo is with their copyright use. Fan games are also being impacted.

again, this isnt just nintendo. there are some games where the company that created the game doesnt exist anymore. theres no one there to make remakes, receive money, or even sue you

i still maintain nintendo is within their right to do so, youre not wrong, but this is arguably a punch to the gut every time

« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 10:21:22 PM by mod-man »

What do you guys think PhantOS' daily cum intake is?

again, this isnt just nintendo. there are some games where the company that created the game doesnt exist anymore. theres no one there to make remakes, receive money, or even sue you
well uh, they can't sue... so they aren't sueing. in that case its perfectly legal to download their content because the company no longer exists

well uh, they can't sue... so they aren't sueing. in that case its perfectly legal to download their content because the company no longer exists
The thing is....  most of these games are under the nintendo's name and They deleted it without even consulting the original developers

Of course most of the developers are now nonexisted or bankrupt but still..
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 10:26:09 PM by FelipeO_O_ »