RIP Emulators and ROMs

Author Topic: RIP Emulators and ROMs  (Read 13486 times)

Emulation and romhacking isn't piracy, but downloading roms is. Since emulators and romhacking both require a rom it is basically a given that if you use an emulator you have pirated before. The only people exempt from this are users who own a copy of the ROM in physical form already

This whole "emulation isn't pirating" bullstuff is purely semantic and is probably the weakest argument the pro-pirating users in this thread can muster
I suppose that by definition it is piracy to emulate but in practice the outcome is completely different for the developers/producers but that's kind of grasping at straws there. It's not true piracy because the games are for the most part no longer being sold by the developers/producers so the only person losing out on money is Jeff the attic cleaner.

think about this: you sell cars. you’ve sold pens at the top car technology for decades, and have the best quality cars in the nation, on the verge of then world. you develop a new car spending millions and years, except as soon as you release it people start selling older models of your car for little to nothing, thus nobody buys you’re kew car which you could make a ton of money off of. of course you’re going to go after the dealers because you’re being forgeted over by their individual selling of your old cars, and people are going to be pussed off about it, because they’re cheap and don’t want to spend all the money to your new car—but you’re still absolutely justified because you’re  businessman and they’re ruining your market
Like the millions of used car dealers across the world? Besides when it comes to games people don't usually go "I have this game so I don't ever need a sequel or a remake with better graphics".

If one source is taken down, two more are born
I don't see why anyone would willingly risk millions of dollars just to please all you 14 year old friends just slightly

Here's an anology. Someone draws a beautiful painting and makes a bunch of copies of said painting to be sold. These paintings are sold for $60 and are in limited supply. After a few years the artist has made their profit and stopped selling copies, they use the funds to work on another painting and ignore the older painting. Someone interested in getting the older painting searches for it on ebay only to find the cheapest copy of it is significantly more expensive than the original price, to make matters worse the painting was an odd shape and needed a special frame which does not come with the painting and is very rare. Even if he pays for the painting in this way all of the money will go to the seller, not the original artist. He then finds out that someone who bought the old painting decided to upload it to the internet now that it is no longer as relevant and even made it fit in a common frame for the low price of free. The artist receives no profit in either scenario but this is mainly due to the artwork no longer being supported by the artist.

If this were piracy the artwork would have immediately been sold and the artist would have lost profits due to competing with someone giving away their work for free at the same time.

somehow i'm legitimately surprised no one in this thread has been banned for the piracy rule yet

yeah it's sad that ROM sites got taken down but what can you do? nintendo's stuff was on it, so of course they're going to target it. they've always had this stance, and i'm almost positive that almost all of you know this. hell, even freeShop, a common 3DS piracy tool, which directly leeched from nintendo's CDN on the 3DS itself, got killed because they changed how the CDN works. they know about this stuff and will take it down.
also let me remind you that emuparadise went down willingly. nintendo didn't sue them this time, despite what happened a year ago -- all they did was take down all of their roms because of what happened to LoveROMs and LoveRetro over the past month, which is probably a good move, just in case other companies get ideas

emulators aren't going anywhere, though. people develop that stuff all the time and you really can't take down work that they made. xenia for the xbox 360 still has good progress, able to run XBLA games surprisingly well, XQEMU and Cxbx-Reloaded for the OG xbox are both aiming to get stuff working, rpcs3, which couldn't play anything aside from basic homebrew years ago, is starting to get in-game (albeit not fully working) compatibility for more than a few high-quality games, and dolphin has made huge strides over the years, which i'm certain most people are aware of.

ROM sites might be dying, but emulation isn't, that's for sure. definitely interested in seeing how far some of the emulators for last-gen consoles go

nintendo of japan calls the shots and they have some pretty strict standards for everything

Emulating is a form of piracy and I don't care what anyone's stance is on it otherwise.

emulators aren't going anywhere, though. people develop that stuff all the time and you really can't take down work that they made. xenia for the xbox 360 still has good progress, able to run XBLA games surprisingly well, XQEMU and Cxbx-Reloaded for the OG xbox are both aiming to get stuff working, rpcs3, which couldn't play anything aside from basic homebrew years ago, is starting to get in-game (albeit not fully working) compatibility for more than a few high-quality games, and dolphin has made huge strides over the years, which i'm certain most people are aware of.

Emulators are nothing without roms.

Once the roms vanish, emulators will go aswell

Emulators are nothing without roms.

Once the roms vanish, emulators will go aswell

you do realize they aren't going to fully vanish, right? hardware for ripping from cartridges will always exist, and ripping from discs is easy once you jailbreak/hack/softmod/whatever your system (e.g. CleanRip for the Wii)

you obviously can't share them, but having them to yourself as a backup copy is fine

I Only emulate games I actually own a copy of. Keeps it from being a grey area.

you do realize they aren't going to fully vanish, right? hardware for ripping from cartridges will always exist, and ripping from discs is easy once you jailbreak/hack/softmod/whatever your system (e.g. CleanRip for the Wii)

You do realize a physical cartridge for a certain game may not exist anymore and that they can be so rare to the point of costing like three ps4, right?

why pay market value to experience something when you can just break the law

why pay market value to experience something when you can just break the law

You do realize a physical cartridge for a certain game may not exist anymore and that they can be so rare to the point of costing like three ps4, right?

I guess that makes it ok to break the lae

so sad that that one extremely obscure game that you may or may not actually play is going to be wiped from the earth

such is the free market