Do you think Steam TV will become a competitor to Twitch?

Author Topic: Do you think Steam TV will become a competitor to Twitch?  (Read 1145 times)

https://www.cnet.com/news/steam-tv-is-live-and-it-appears-to-be-valves-twitch-competitor/

A Valve representative told CNET that Steam.tv went live by accident, and was meant to be an internal test as of today: "We are working on updating Steam Broadcasting for the Main Event of The International, Dota 2's annual tournament. What people saw was a test feed that was inadvertently made public," said the company.

it seems to be mostly focused on e-sport tournaments and groupchat viewing

If 3+g=10 then what's 3 equal too...

if it allows u to have a regular chat tab and a stream tab open at the same time its guaranteed epic

why is steam trying to be literally everything are they really that stupid

same thing with discord

Gaming platforms tries to add gamer friendly features; world shocked

how are they stupid? what do they have to lose? if it fails it fails and they still make a stuff ton of cash selling other peoples' games.

same thing with discord
same as above

probably not, twitch already has a lot of advertiser, viewer, and industry support. though from the sounds of things i don't know if i'm sure that they're planning on directly competing with twitch. steam's broadcasting was always a lot more focused on small streams with friends, cus that's where steam's strengths are, and i guess it sounds a lot like they're just planning on just streamlining viewing so it doesn't suck as much. but i guess we'll see, if they add nice discovery and community features for it maybe it could grow well enough.

how are they stupid? what do they have to lose? if it fails it fails and they still make a stuff ton of cash selling other peoples' games.
same as above
they can’t actually expect to be able to control every market in gaming when there’s already services out there that are better and more powerful in that. steam will never make decent cash copying discord or twitch, and vise versa. they’d be so much better off just sticking to doing what they’re already proven themselves to be the best in, and working on improving those systems, for instance steam fixing their dumb greenlighting system and slow servers
it’s a waste of money, effort, talent, and frankly just annoying to the average consumer

if steam would have done this 5 years ago then yeah it would have stood a change