mega.nz official Chrome extension compromised, stealing passwords and keys

Author Topic: mega.nz official Chrome extension compromised, stealing passwords and keys  (Read 2791 times)

The official mega.nz Chrome extension was compromised and updated maliciously to steal user's passwords to various online services including Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Github, and various cryptocurrency wallets. The extension has already been removed and disabled, but if you had it installed any time in the past few days you should immediately change your passwords for all the affected services. The Firefox extension was not impacted.

Unfortunately, Google decided to disallow publisher signatures on Chrome extensions and is now relying solely on signing them automatically after upload to the Chrome webstore, which removes an important barrier to external compromise. MEGAsync and our Firefox extension are signed and hosted by us and could therefore not have fallen victim to this attack vector. While our mobile apps are hosted by Apple/Google/Microsoft, they are cryptographically signed by us and therefore immune as well.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/mega-nz-chrome-extension-caught-stealing-passwords-cryptocurrency-private-keys/
https://thehackernews.com/2018/09/mega-file-upload-chrome-extension.html

stop using chrome
and what, use a browser that takes forever to load anything?

enjoy your botnet
Oh well. But good thing I don't use mega.nz or craptocurrency.

and what, use a browser that takes forever to load anything?
we didn't say switch to Internet Explorer

I use Opera, snappy (or snappier) than Chrome, modern af UI looks, light weight on ram like FireFox, and you can use certain Chrome extensions on it

"stop using chrome"

>Chrome has nothing to do with this

"stop using chrome"

>Chrome has nothing to do with this
Read the quoted text. Google isn't allowing developers to self-sign their code, which lead to this happening in the first place.

thank god i use firefox, aka a not stuffty browser

Mega pushes their downloadable clients too much for this stuff to not be expected