Author Topic: Glok's RTB v1.045 Adventures in 2008 - The Movie  (Read 1537 times)

this is an hour of RTB v1.045 gameplay. it's from 2008 by someone named "Glok" and was recorded using torque demo files. I played back the demo files, upscaling the 720p video to 4k so the gui is still large (you can read the chat) without youtube compressing the forget out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzo6R8dORFU

shoutouts to anyone still around from the pre-retail era of blockland!!

i wonder if Glok is still alive

I used to play on gloks servers well into 2011. He was always p cool

You did a very good job with this; high quality footage of classic RTB from back in the day is virtually nonexistent, so to see footage of the full online experience from all those years ago in fidelity comparable to what one used to see when they had played the game itself is a welcome sight.

A few months ago I loaded up an old RTB 1.045 client with some old demo files from late-2006/early-2007 and was surprised to see they recorded not only the gameplay, but people's chat messages as well. Unfortunately all the demo files were recorded accidentally so there wasn't much notable gameplay, but seeing people's messages play out exactly the way they did when they were originally being typed and sent over a decade ago was neat and a little bit sad. I wish I had made proper use of the demo recorder back in the day since there were a lot of interesting and well-made builds/servers I'd like to "revisit", namely Bleh's servers since he would seemingly always be testing out his in-development mods (I remember once playing on his server in early-2007(?) when he was working on a parachute mod which I'm not sure ever got released). Good times.

i appreciate this <3
You did a very good job with this; high quality footage of classic RTB from back in the day is virtually nonexistent, so to see footage of the full online experience from all those years ago in fidelity comparable to what one used to see when they had played the game itself is a welcome sight.
thanks!!! i knew a group of people somewhere would appreciate this

A few months ago I loaded up an old RTB 1.045 client with some old demo files from late-2006/early-2007 and was surprised to see they recorded not only the gameplay, but people's chat messages as well. Unfortunately all the demo files were recorded accidentally so there wasn't much notable gameplay, but seeing people's messages play out exactly the way they did when they were originally being typed and sent over a decade ago was neat and a little bit sad. I wish I had made proper use of the demo recorder back in the day since there were a lot of interesting and well-made builds/servers I'd like to "revisit", namely Bleh's servers since he would seemingly always be testing out his in-development mods (I remember once playing on his server in early-2007(?) when he was working on a parachute mod which I'm not sure ever got released). Good times.
the torque demo system is also super simple - it only recorded network packets going in/out and then simulated them when playing back the recording (which is also why they sucked in many aspects - many of these demo files crashed the game and i think many crashed part-way through the recording) and it makes me wonder if something similar would be able to be implemented in modern games, or if such a feature is even worth the trouble. it's an amazing way to preserve gameplay as you can play the demos at any resolution or even framerate, so if your computer sucked during the time of recording, you could always revisit it with a far better one in the future and get super high quality footage like this. you could possibly even manipulate the camera to get any angle you'd want.

when watching all the demos to record them i still never understood why Glok even recorded them. they're probably by accident, but they usually always start just as he joins a server which makes me think he did it on purpose... for some reason. glad he did, though.

Damn, I remember Wild_Willis! TSM stood for "Team Smart" I think. I also remember people stretching the road baseplates...

Though the footage is from 2008 (by that time I switched to the Retail version) it was still a nice trip down the memory lane. Thanks for making this!

Though the footage is from 2008 (by that time I switched to the Retail version) it was still a nice trip down the memory lane.
I've yet to find any other demos that are longer then a couple seconds or that don't crash. it doesn't seem like many people at all ever extensively recorded stuff like Glok did, or if they have, they haven't shared it. if anyone does have any demo files from a v0002 game or even early retail i'd gladly take em to record (if they don't crash on loading ;c)