Kerumi Valley - v21 STATIC TERRAIN MAP

Author Topic: Kerumi Valley - v21 STATIC TERRAIN MAP  (Read 9126 times)

what in the holy mother of forget how did you do this

what in the holy mother of forget how did you do this
he told me like so long ago he was working on this but it takes a very long time, as i can see, yes, it takes a very long time.

he told me like so long ago he was working on this but it takes a very long time, as i can see, yes, it takes a very long time.
actually, I made this whole map in about 2 days. I’ve been off the project for a while and recently I wanted to work on it again, but I was going to work with The Slopes. However bc the slopes was taking loving eons to export a test map, I made this with newfound knowledge and actually learned how to make these really damn easily. I’ll post a tutorial on it soon once I’ve nailed everything.

This is pretty good. I drove around the map in a jeep and didn't fall out of the map surprisingly. There were some collision issues with terrain here and there where it would look like the wheels were floating above the ground or in some spots, the jeep would bounce a little bit on its own.

Also, the edges of the polygons on the terrain look green like on the stone parts. Lastly, I think you should make the terrain have smooth instead of flat shading so that the edges don't look as jagged. It would make it look and feel more like the old terrain we had. Unless of course, you want it to look like modter, which is ok. It just needs a few more touch ups and it could make a good slopes TDM or some sort of skiing map. Nice map though. :cookie:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 02:40:24 PM by RockyDoctor65 »

This is pretty good. I drove around the map in a jeep and didn't fall out of the map surprisingly. There were some collision issues with terrain here and there where it would look like the wheels were floating above the ground or in some spots, the jeep would bounce a little bit on its own.
I think what you’re talking about is what I call “Phantom Polys”. I’ve described my theory of the issue under my Known Bugs and Issues post.
Also, the edges of the polygons on the terrain look green like on the stone parts. Lastly, I think you should make the terrain have smooth instead of flat shading so that the edges don't look as jagged. It would make it look and feel more like the old terrain we had. Unless of course, you want it to look like modter, Which is ok. It just needs a few more touch ups and it could make a good slopes TDM or some sort of skiing map. Nice map though. :cookie:
The green edges are what happened when I upscaled the textures so that they could work properly. I tried fixing it in Blender by repainting it, but it seems to have saved with the texture bleed. My guess is it has something to do with Blender running some anti brown townyzing algorithm.

As for the shading honestly I don’t quite know how I would fix that. As smooth as I made the terrain in Blender, it turned out to look like it had ModTer-like shading. I think that might just be BL’s way of shading now thanks to the Shaders update.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 02:45:37 PM by speeddog73 »

modter shading? you mean flat shading?

modter shading? you mean flat shading?
No, I meant like modter looks jagged and such. I also said smooth shading.

also this is probably the first time in history my "terrain is redundant because modter exists" argument holds enough weight. this map could literally be recreated almost exactly out of modter save a few odd angles and the smooth texture transitions. not only would it probably be just as easy to make and edit but it would use significantly less resources and lower the datablock count

good map and i can see you made it as a test for slopes, but as a standalone map it really leads one to question why someone doesn't just make this out of modter and save everyone the trouble

No, I meant like modter looks jagged and such. I also said smooth shading.
i know. i was talking to speeddog

As for the shading honestly I don’t quite know how I would fix that. As smooth as I made the terrain in Blender, it turned out to look like it had ModTer-like shading. I think that might just be BL’s way of shading now thanks to the Shaders update.
In that one video, The terrain seems to be smoother. Maybe you can ask lego how he did it?

In that one video, The terrain seems to be smoother. Maybe you can ask lego how he did it?
the map is shadeless. im pretty sure thats a blender option for materials

It's what I meant lol.

good map and i can see you made it as a test for slopes, but as a standalone map it really leads one to question why someone doesn't just make this out of modter and save everyone the trouble
Well it’s like you said, it was intended to be a test and pave a way for The Slopes. And sure, somebody could make this with ModTer, but it would be quite the challenge compared to how short this actually took me to model in Blender.
Also, it paves a new way for people who want easy maps. The reason the datablocks are so high are because of the polycount being quite high for BL. What really sucks is that every mesh takes up probably around a datablock, and you need an independent mesh for every polygon for collision. So it can be really bad at 3900 polys with a map like this, but once again it’s something I didn’t know until I made this map. If I wanted to shrink the poly count it shouldn’t be that big of an issue, keeping it at about 1k-2k polys per map. I might shrink this map and optimise it in the future.

Ah now I know what you’re talking about. I believe I know the option for it too, just thought it would forget with BL’s rendering.

What really sucks is that every mesh takes up probably around a datablock, and you need an independent mesh for every polygon for collision. So it can be really bad at 3900 polys with a map like this, but once again it’s something I didn’t know until I made this map. If I wanted to shrink the poly count it shouldn’t be that big of an issue, keeping it at about 1k-2k polys per map. I might shrink this map and optimise it in the future.
jesus loving christ
...just play v20 my dude