Author Topic: Is it possible to port forward via a vpn?  (Read 1125 times)

I live in a stuffhole and my ISP blocks port forwarding, if I were to set up a openvpn server on a vps with all ports open and connected my blockland server would it work?

pls don't laugh if what I said is handicapped I don't know anything about networking

my ISP blocks port forwarding
brother what

closed ports are something that should be happening on your own network segment, it shouldn't be something your ISP has any control over at all.

brother what

closed ports are something that should be happening on your own network segment, it shouldn't be something your ISP has any control over at all.
They could block all inbound connections, but I think it's unlikely that's actually what's happening. And even then, I don't know if that would even affect a connectionless protocol like UDP (which is what most game servers would run on)

A lot of residential ISPs block inbound connections on extremely common ports like 80 and 443, but I've never heard of uncommon ports being blocked.

That being said, blocking inbound connections is a very different thing than blocking port forwarding. The latter shouldn't be possible; as you said, that's controlled entirely within your network.

It is possible that he just has an extremely basic router that simply doesn't offer it, in which case the solution would be to get a better router.

But I imagine VPN might work? I know people have used software like Hamachi to host without port forwarding

Better solution: if you have a VPS, why not just put the BL several on that?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 11:16:17 PM by Headcrab Zombie »

brother what

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT
My ISP uses one of these

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT
My ISP uses one of these
Ah, I see. I've never heard of this.

So it's not necessarily that they block it, just that the network infrastructure doesn't support it

So my answer would still be

But I imagine VPN might work? I know people have used software like Hamachi to host without port forwarding

Hosting a vpn requires a less powerful vps, also I don't have to deal with the stability issues of wine with my local machine. Obviously I could get a windows vps but that would once again increase costs