looking to upgrade my cpu, any advice?

Author Topic: looking to upgrade my cpu, any advice?  (Read 579 times)

im looking to upgrade my pc cpu from a pentium g3258 to an i5 4690k, here are my currents specs, any recommended upgrades first?
https://ark.intel.com/products/80811/Intel-Core-i5-4690K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3-90-GHz-

Specs:
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 770
RAM: 8GB DDR3
PSU: TX 750W, I believe the brand is corsair, unsure atm
NB Fan: Autolizer LED 120mm fan
SYS Fan: Coolmaster case fan
CPU Fan: Coolmaster fan, presumably coolmaster heatsink too, if not unknown heatsink
Motherboard: ECS H81H3-A3, 2 ram slots, LGA 1150 CPU socket, looking to upgrade to quad core CPU with at least 3.3Ghz

also is 4 threads enough for games like rust, kerbal space program, arma 3, and basically cpu intensive games?

An i5 4k+ is always almost equal to an i7. Don't get an i7 if it has an i5 equiv.

ik but i just wanted to check on the thread part as well as check system compatibility all around

you aren't going to do much better without upgrading your mobo too

both arma and rust seems to list either 4690k or a similarish i5-4000 series chip in their recommended settings, while kerbal very ambiguously states a recommendation for "i5", so you should be covered there

no idea where you're buying from, or what prices you're looking at but there's a pair of obscure broadwell processors, i5 5675c/i7 5775c, for the 1150 socket, which despite their lower clocks are slightly faster due to the smaller 14 nm process. if you can find those...

also can you game comfortably in fullhd with the 770, or do you even care about that? there's quite a bit of newer older cards moving, with decent prices in the used market ATM