How to get results from "Search"

Author Topic: How to get results from "Search"  (Read 1393 times)

Hey I was having trouble getting anything from the "Search" menu past the year 2009.

Turns out you need to change the "Message Age" setting to something lower than 9999.  Else it returns too many results and stops searching.

So... yeah.

smf search really sucks and its devastating

each word has to be two characters long too. so you can't use words like "a" or "I"

You can also improve your chances of finding what you want by selecting the subforums you think the post you look for might be

I always prefer to use an external search engine. Using Google, DuckDuckGo, or any other search engine that allow parameterization, type your search query like this:

Code: [Select]
site:forum.blockland.us your search query

Is you're not familiar with the "site" parameter, it simply limits your search to a particular domain. If you want to search within a specific board, such as Modification Help, include it in your search like this:

site:forum.blockland.us "Modification Help" your search query

The quotation marks tells the search engine that any search result must contain that phrase. It's not guaranteed to limit your search to a single board, but it helps. Finally, if you want to search within a specific year, such as 2007-2010, you can do:

site:forum.blockland.us "Modification Help" 2008..2018 your search query

The ".." specifies a range of numbers to search for. Do note that given how many Blockland threads there are relative to the meager traffic the site actually gets, search engines don't index most of the Blockland Forums, so these techniques only work some of the time. If you really want to get fancy with your search parameters, this is a good guide.