Author Topic: how to successfully transfer blockland data to new computer?  (Read 906 times)

hello friends i have been playing this damn game for a long ass time and i've been hit with a PROBLEM ,,
i literally just finally made a forums account so i could post this question because i need help
(if i'm using forums incorrectly or being annoying, kindly ignore me and lmk what i'm doing wrong i'm a noob)

so here's the backstory: i haven't touched the game in a hot while because my laptop crapped out, so i saved all of my blockland files to a flashdrive and hard reset the whole computer (which worked btw). i bought and downloaded the game before it was greenlit on steam, so i had it the og version w/ the launcher app and everything. i tried to import the files from the flashdrive onto the freshly reset laptop but when i opened blockland for the first time it said "Please run the game via BlocklandLauncer.app" even though i was...

now, after a long series of events, i've reset my laptop again and from scratch i have REdownloaded blockland successfully from steam, but (obviously) it doesn't have any of my settings or files (add-on's and map saves and what not.) every time i open the game from steam, it makes me select my network type and choose default hardware configuration settings, like it does when you open the game for the first time. once i complete, it says:

"File Error. Blockland could not save your preferences." blah blah "Make sure you have copied the Blockland folder to your applications folder" (which 1. steam doesn't give u a folder and 2. i already put the game itself in the applications folder.) "and are running the game from there. Do not run the game directly from the dmg file."

so long story short i have no clue what to do to get it back the way it was :(

i have tried putting the steam blockland launcher in the blockland folder i have imported from my flashdrive (w/ all the add-on files and saves) and putting that folder in the application folder and nothing has worked. hopefully someone here can help me i just wanna play blockland again.
i am using a Macbook Pro btw, but i don't think that's an issue because it worked perfectly fine on here before i had to hard reset it.
thank u hopefully, sorry if i'm a nuisance.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 11:13:17 PM by naturaldescent »

Please put this in the Help section okay?
But I think you have to reinstall all of your add-ons no matter what. Generally I can't help you since this issue has never happened to me before. I think you just have to reinstall everything. I hope this doesn't hurt the fact you can't do it. But I guess I could help: Check the files, they must be damaged or something. Other than that I can't help you. Sorry.
Edit: I don't know what a dmg file is but it seems like something about that needs to be fixed.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 11:17:11 PM by CapWearingHatDude »

Please put this in the Help section okay?
But I think you have to reinstall all of your add-ons no matter what. Generally I can't help you since this issue has never happened to me before. I think you just have to reinstall everything. I hope this doesn't hurt the fact you can't do it. But I guess I could help: Check the files, they must be damaged or something. Other than that I can't help you. Sorry.
shortly after posting this question, i discovered the Help section and now i feel like an idiot lol. i'm gonna delete this one and repost it there, hopefully someone else can sorta help. thanks though!!!

only admins (aka badspot and rotondo) can delete/move topics/posts on this forum

it sounds like you would be better off by moving the files into your steam folder rather than the other way around. if you install blockland on steam normally, the game folder and all its files should be in the Steam program files folder under steamapps/common

only admins (aka badspot and rotondo) can delete/move topics/posts on this forum

it sounds like you would be better off by moving the files into your steam folder rather than the other way around. if you install blockland on steam normally, the game folder and all its files should be in the Steam program files folder under steamapps/common

it seems like that has put me on the right track to somewhere, thank you so much!!
i'll keep you updated on if it works