[Not] Community RP

Author Topic: [Not] Community RP  (Read 6131 times)

I loving hated Kreon's when he made guns hard to get one time, felt like an RPG and was removed near instantly. But when he decided to enforce RDM really hard is when it died down and became roleplayed. The server's issue is just admins are way too lax, make them enforce stuff and enforce it hard and it'll be ironed out

Also delete crownvic and see what's causing the packets, Vic is one of em
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 09:33:52 AM by Insert Name Here² »

also could you mind adding some dirt roads that lead into slightly more remote areas for slightly more private plots

Bad news: Server shut down. This server didn't go really to how I planned. So I'll be shutting it down for good. I basically bit off more than I could chew. I'll give out the save so people can still use the build though.

Good news: I'm gonna try to host Floating City. (Something I can actually manage). I want to try to make this a new experience though so don't expect to hear about it any time soon. I'm gonna be working on some extra exclusive stuff that will make the server fun.

This is turning into the disaster that was Kreon's roleplay, something built on a great foundation, an amazing idea, but was executed poorly and I feel like much can be learned from today and Kreon's. First of all; maintain a low playercount. Second; enforce admin activity. Third and finally, don't make guns so easy to get.

1. Lower playercount is loving boring. Nobody is bringing 'roleplay' interesting enough to the table to make it worth investing out time into.

2. Half the server complains if the admins aren't being enough of a hardass, yet half the server complains if the admins start cracking down on things like RDM or name policy. This server was hosted just cause we were bored and wanted to play blockland again.

3. Making guns harder to get is such a difficult task. You can either try to restrict spawns which opens the can of worms of how to distribute guns. When Kreon tried it, everyone loving hated it. Otherwise, it'll be investing time and effort into coding and setting up the proper system to distribute guns in an acceptable way.

I've been an admin on Kreon's for years, I've seen all the people trying to figure out how to 'fix' the gameplay model. The solution: kick out all the starfishs who are only there to deathmatch and keep on being fast and loose. Introducing heavier mechanics or roleplay rules is just going to scare off the people that make the server fun.

Bad news: Server shut down. This server didn't go really to how I planned. So I'll be shutting it down for good. I basically bit off more than I could chew. I'll give out the save so people can still use the build though.

Good news: I'm gonna try to host Floating City. (Something I can actually manage). I want to try to make this a new experience though so don't expect to hear about it any time soon. I'm gonna be working on some extra exclusive stuff that will make the server fun.
AGH forget NOO DDD:

it was a valiant effort. i don’t think anyone blames you for closing. micromanaging player behavior and enforcing rules drains anyone

it was a valiant effort. i don’t think anyone blames you for closing. micromanaging player behavior and enforcing rules drains anyone
im kinda bumbed about it too cause i spent a lot of effort on making this map and two days in im already sick of it lol.

3. Making guns harder to get is such a difficult task. You can either try to restrict spawns which opens the can of worms of how to distribute guns. When Kreon tried it, everyone loving hated it. Otherwise, it'll be investing time and effort into coding and setting up the proper system to distribute guns in an acceptable way.
i think they should be either full access to guns or no access to guns. if the server has weapons but restricts them so that its not possible to use them then its existence is gratuitous and shouldn't have them in the first place. problem with that is that people get bored if they're not constantly solving challenges like killing enemies so... yea

i agree with everything you said but i think that it's the main reason why rps don't do well. afterthought combat shouldn't exist, the game is either built around the guns or shouldnt be built at all. punishing people for a mechanic intentionally included is the main reason why all community/city rps i see are trash

i think they should be either full access to guns or no access to guns. if the server has weapons but restricts them so that its not possible to use them then its existence is gratuitous and shouldn't have them in the first place. problem with that is that people get bored if they're not constantly solving challenges like killing enemies so... yea

The idea I had way before was to keep stuff simple, make it so you can only get guns (Not buy, forget currency mods) from designated gun stores so long as you secure a gun license from the police station. Otherwise, any guns you have spawned are illegal and give cause to the police to raid your house, and it also means that any restricted guns could be given out in gang hideouts or other crime areas. The problem with this is that people usually don't want to take the extra steps to get legal guns, will always result to getting illegal guns and then half the server ends up walking around with an unlicensed firearm, outnumbering the police officers heavily enough that you have a law you can't enforce.

The challenge in the gameplay should come from crime, law and admin-run events, but that usually doesn't happen because running consistent events like that in blockland is like pulling teeth, especially when you have 30 people trying to do their own thing and a few choice idiots trying to ruin things with guns and bombs.

i agree with everything you said but i think that it's the main reason why rps don't do well. afterthought combat shouldn't exist, the game is either built around the guns or shouldnt be built at all. punishing people for a mechanic intentionally included is the main reason why all community/city rps i see are trash

Most people come to these kinds of servers for the cops 'n robbers, crime or gang stuff, and stay for the admin-run events and city building. Anyone actually here for the 'roleplay' aren't really good additions to the server because all they ultimately do is complain about how everyone else is here for something else, whine about being "RDM'd" and then leave.

The roleplay exists to serve the gameplay imo. People running groups like hospitals, mail delivery services or other mechanically useless stuff with no purpose other than to make up a cool story is what I consider good roleplay in this scenario.

better news than bad news

Theres no money or government system.
time to go loving postal

Bummer. Who got the save and is gonna host?

Bummer. Who got the save and is gonna host?
I'd host just I don't have a few of the "essential" addons for the server (mainly the jail one), and my list of admins is zero, and no map either