[Item] Perkele

Author Topic: [Item] Perkele  (Read 5297 times)

Satan/the devil
Well actually that's the Christianized definition of the term. Historically, it has been used as a curse to call power from the gods for you/against a fella. I guess you can say the equivalent is to "smite" them because some believe the term originated to call upon the god of thunder from Finnish paganism but it's not agreed. (really though "Damn it" is the better translation)

Edit: Whoops I did a misunderstood and tried to pull a fast one. ANT has an actually good one like a few replies down
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 12:06:34 PM by OnlyTwentyCharacters »

Well actually that's the Christianized definition of the term. Historically, it has been used as a curse to call power from the gods for you/against a fella. I guess you can say the equivalent is to "smite" them because some believe the term originated to call upon the god of thunder from Finnish paganism but it's not agreed. (really though "Damn it" is the better translation)
stop nerding out

the middle finger is a tad small imo but i do like

lol no
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 10:40:30 AM by Sylvanor »

Ahem

According to the most commonly accepted theory, Perkele is a loan word from the Baltics, meaning the name of the pagan god of thunder (according to some having potentially been the original name of the finnish deity Ukko), in the baltics the equivelant word having been perkons and perkūnas with the said meaning.

On the other hand professor of fenno-ugricstics Ulla-Maija Fosberg and archeologist Unto Salo suggest it'd instead mean basically "hell", like the estonian word põrgu (hell), votic word põrku (hell, underworld) and the karelian word perkeleh (an evil spirit).

In short it's complicated but I've never heard of any theory suggesting it having been used as a curse to call power from the gods in finnish.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 10:44:06 AM by ANT »

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 11:57:45 AM by OnlyTwentyCharacters »

ANT, meniksä opettamaan tolle suomea?

Taitanu iha itte oppia

umm can you guys stop speaking swedish? thx