Author Topic: [for gods sake] epicgames launcher is spyware  (Read 2192 times)

and remember kids, always use steam and wait for halo: the master chief collection pc and halo reach pc

Hmmmmm forget slime rancher

the stuffs (fortnite players) at my school won't believe me if i show them this

Hmmmmm forget slime rancher
what does that have to do with anything

oh boy can't wait for some more fortnite hate
but according to some of the replies there it could be not nearly as bad as it sounds and a bit of fearmongering, now i don't know much about any of this or if that's true or not so i guess i'll just take this with a grain of salt until more info about it comes out or something

old news. I refused to use epic, even if it gives me free/discounted/exclusive games, before I knew about it to start with.

this is new news though? the tweet and posts are from today?

old news. I refused to use epic, even if it gives me free/discounted/exclusive games, before I knew about it to start with.
ur preferences don't have anything to do with this lol

this is new news though? the tweet and posts are from today?
Tencent is known for collecting user data. Lots of people already figured out they are using the epic game store to collect data to generate more shekels.
Its a chinese company after all.

tencent doesnt own enough share to dictate what epic does. this is real basic knowledge for someone who holds those opinions

I don't use the epic launcher because I am a good boy

i'm not sure if this was mentioned in the picture in the op, but this also pokes through your steams friends lists and such and gets your gameplay habits of the games you play on steam

people also have gripes with this because
1. it can or will lead to even more moneyhatting so epic knows what games to give on their store for free
2. literally GDRP violations
3. spyware (already stated in the op)

i've also gotten word that it still collected data even after steam profiles were set to private as a result of GDRP so that's a yikes
(edit: source is from the resetera forums, which the op of that thread made a way for you to replicate and test of how the epic store checks your steam stuff for friends and gameplay habits, but i haven't been here in a long while so i'm not sure if i can post a link to other forums)

edit 2: on second thought, i'll just leave images from that thread in here (pagestretch warning)

epic games had also responded to this problem yesterday, but theres a few problems with their response- i've unfortunately forgotten what the problems were, but i'll return to reading through the page to find it and update once i do

edit 3: also to note, from info gained from the article on resertera, it seems that the person that made steamspy is also an employee at epic games
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 02:12:05 PM by Blue Screen »

to be fair your being spyed on by the nsa so who cares...

higher res version of the image: https://i.imgur.com/3oVtAKk.jpg
this entire image is overly aggressive - instead of being calm about it and talking about it in a more sensible tone it instead goes all batstuff crazy to hype people up and get them to join the epic games hate bandwagon. i have doubts this actually is proof that its spyware - looks more like syncing with steam and detecting anticheats to me. although i dont know much about the subject matter. could someone more clever about the details of this actually confirm if it's bullstuff or real? cause this image filled with red bold caps-lock-stuck text full of swearing makes me doubt it's actually real
i havent looked at other sources though.

discord also does a bit of stuff to see what friends you have on steam and whatnot along with the programs you have open. other programs probably also do