Upgrading pc soon

Author Topic: Upgrading pc soon  (Read 2529 times)

going to upgrade pc, getting a ASRock 970A-G motherboard and an AMD FX 8350 cpu, with a cool master fan hyper 212 evo fan heatsink combo. Here’s how my computer build would look:

Gpu: GeForce GTX 770 2GB vram
Cpu: AMD FX 8350 8 cores 4 ghz
Motherboard: ASRock 970A-G
Psu: Corsair TX 750W
Ram: Generic 2x4 DDR3 ram
Hard drives: Hitachi 300 Gb and Seagate 500 Gb

Thoughts? Upgrading from ECS H81 motherboard and pentium g3258

Don't get motherloving FX in current year holy stuff, it's ass

Don't get motherloving FX in current year holy stuff, it's ass
this, don't get a stuff $60 CPU if you're planning on using this computer for more than a month.
and why are you getting two small ass hard drives? did you check the speeds on them or just the price?

What parts do you already have and what do you plan on buying, and what is your overall budget Darth? You do not want that in today unless if you're deadass broke, even then, Sandy Bridge performs better and is usually cheaper too lol

Speaking of $60, you can also get a 2TB drive for that price off of amazon. I'm planning to slap that in my PC soon.

At the very least, get this instead of an FX and 212

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($93.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 33 CPU Cooler  ($28.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($68.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $271.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-29 15:35 EDT-0400

If you're more poor, go with 2x4 DDR4. If you're even more poor, drop the cooler. Don't get loving stuck with FX, it's such stuff.

I'm recommending the Arctic cooler over the 212 because it's cheaper, should perform just as good, and it mounts like a normal loving cooler lol. Plus it's shorter than a 212 while having the same fin density / heatsink size so cooling isn't sacrificed

I’m not getting ddr4, too much for my brother

this, don't get a stuff $60 CPU if you're planning on using this computer for more than a month.
and why are you getting two small ass hard drives? did you check the speeds on them or just the price?
Did you not read the post???

I already have them, I’m only looking to upgrade the cpu and motherboard

your brother is paying for your parts????????

your brother is stupid.

At least get an i7 2600 and a 6x or 7x chipset motherboard. It'll cost just as much and perform LEAGUES better.

i have a machine with an fx 8350 and it works perfectly fine for what i do with it (although it's not a wise idea to buy one in current year since they're old cpu's and have become a giant meme at this point)
my real question is why is your brother buying parts that are several years out of date instead of waiting and actually getting modern components (although to be fair you can get an old dell optiplex with some sandy bridge i5 like inh is suggesting and slap a gt 1030 in there and you'll have something that works fairly well)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 02:50:19 PM by Mr Queeba »

i have a machine with an fx 8350 and it works perfectly fine for what i do with it (although it's not a wise idea to buy one in current year since they're old cpu's and have become a giant meme at this point)
my real question is why is your brother buying parts that are several years out of date instead of waiting and actually getting modern components
I'm assuming what you do with it is stuff that actually scales across all of the processor's cores / threads. Anything other than that, FX is piss

I'm assuming what you do with it is stuff that actually scales across all of the processor's cores / threads. Anything other than that, FX is piss
surprisingly it plays games quite well (at least by my definition of "quite well") and i manage to do other stuff on the thing fine. brother used it for 4-5 years before upgrading to a ryzen, and the cpu is now in my secondary build (i use a 6600k in my main pc)
but as i said fx is old and has become a meme because it is probably the biggest example of "clearly cores and clock speed are the only things that matter in a cpu!!!" syndrome that i can think of. even a sandy bridge cpu (released around the same time) will have significantly higher ipc
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 03:00:09 PM by Mr Queeba »

surprisingly it plays games quite well (at least by my definition of "quite well") and i manage to do other stuff on the thing fine
but as i said fx is old and has become a meme because it is probably the biggest example of "clearly cores and clock speed are the only things that matter in a cpu!!!" syndrome that i can think of
the meme and it just performs really bad compared to other stuff, just as old, for the same price

holy moly, he's going to be wasting money on these outdated parts.
Did you not read the post???
I already have them, I’m only looking to upgrade the cpu and motherboard
your post is extremely undetailed buddy
surprisingly it plays games quite well (at least by my definition of "quite well") and i manage to do other stuff on the thing fine. brother used it for 4-5 years before upgrading to a ryzen, and the cpu is now in my secondary build (i use a 6600k in my main pc)
but as i said fx is old and has become a meme because it is probably the biggest example of "clearly cores and clock speed are the only things that matter in a cpu!!!" syndrome that i can think of. even a sandy bridge cpu (released around the same time) will have significantly higher ipc
the problem with the FX processors is that there are processors at similar prices that perform way better.