Are there any free music making software that I can use?

Author Topic: Are there any free music making software that I can use?  (Read 1102 times)

audacity is good for recording and editing

I already use audacity for editing but I want to make music similar to garage band.

I already use audacity for editing but I want to make music similar to garage band.
you could try using samples from other bands and mixing and mashing them up?

you could try using samples from other bands and mixing and mashing them up?
It worked for Earthbound's and Mother 3's soundtrack

pro tools has a free version. there aren't many good free daws out there. LMMS is half decent but it has some automation bugs and most VSTis aren't compatible

MuseScore or Flat.io is really easy but web-based

lmms is pretty great for making beats and loops but it cant record
its not fl studio or anything but its the closest thing you cant get to it for free

if you want to record reaper has a "60 day trial" but you can still use it just fine after it "expires"
you can make beats in reaper too but its not as easy as lmms

audacity is pretty simple to use but its VERY basic, like you cant have more than one vst in track as far as i know
i also dont think it has vsti support or even a piano roll so you cant make beats or anything

you could use musescore for composing and notating but ive never used it cuz im handicapped and i cant read sheet music

Audacity is ok for very basic bitch audio work. REAPER is great but it requires you to learn how to get around DAWs (which is probably a good thing). REAPER also has only a few VST’s, which is a small set of sound shaping tools (EQ, compressor, etc.). It also requires you to have your own virtual instruments to make MIDI stuff (I think it has a synthesizer but it’s probably super basic and probably not very inspiring). REAPER is a great platform if you have the plugins for it, but it’s very barebones for beginners. It’s still leagues better than Audacity for recording and editing audio though.

I heard FL studio is ludicrous

LMMS is half decent but it has some automation bugs and most VSTis aren't compatible
Yeah. I'd say it's about 60-70% of a complete program. Still work pretty well though.