Poll

c

yea
nay
idk

Author Topic: is medieval roleplay lame  (Read 6036 times)

so I tried to defend myself and I even got banned for that.

This is actually extremely common because of the juvenile trial bullstuff you go through every time you kill someone. If someone swings their sword at you or shoots at you with their bow and they miss like 3 times and you fight back in defense and you draw first blood you end up getting banned because the other person can just bullstuff their way through the "sit" because the awesome admin log is gonna say they were attacked first

I think they had some shtick where it also logged whenever a sword was 'swung' that they were super proud of but it was entirely loving useless because nobody is checking these massive logs to check timestamps for every single time a sword was swung in a medieval RP

of course it is

waiting for vietnam rp be like:

I feel like it would be fair to publicize some of the behind the scenes development on Medieval Roleplay to give a better insight on it.

MRP was always a serious RP, if that isn't your thing, the server may not be fore you. That being said, I would lie if I said that a scenario where you sneak into the castle, get the key, arm yourself and sneakily start taking out people or slashing-and-hashing everyone that crosses your path don't sound like interesting idea, but on the other hand, if you just joined, made your character and decide to explore the map it wouldn't be too fun if someone murdered your guy for a petty reason.

That's where the most infamous rule comes into play, being "No Random Deathmatch", aka a rule to prevent people from turning the server into a battle royale. Originally the rule was that you could only kill people on whom you have a vendetta on, and killing others was considered a rule break. This sort of put us into an uncomfortable situation. People who wanted to kill someone started vendetta fishing, meaning that they were just looking for an excuse to kill murder the person they don't like. Keep in mind that dying meant perma-death and no one wanted to lose their developed character in an RP, so 9/10 times if someone died, they reported that the the aggressor broke the RDM rule, even if he really wasn't, in hopes that he could keep his character.

When these happened both players would've been pulled into a sit with an admin, who would had to determine who was wrong and right, needless to say, one of the two parties always left the sit with a bitter taste in their mouth. In addition, we had many cases that were just hard to break. For example, sometimes we had search through chat logs just to check whether someone had a valid vendetta or not, other times we had to determine cases where if a faction kills X's friend does he get a vendetta on each member of the group, even if they wasn't there and so on. It was pretty complex, and hard to maintain, we've been adjusting the rule for literal years to try to balance it out. If the admin appealed to the victim we got the "You can't even kill anyone" complain, if he took the attacker's side, we'd hear "Admins are stuff and biased" and such.

Right now we removed perma-death, meaning that if your character gets killed you may get revived, however you'd have to roleplay out your injuries and you couldn't just go ahead and take revenge on the guy that killed you, as that would just put the winner of the fight at a disadvantage, thus making RDM much more of a minor offence, to the point where now if you wouldn't constantly try to kill people and aren't randomly attacking people without a word, you're more likely to get away with a single warning. There are two exceptions for it though, during events you can attack a hostile character without any warnings, and if you think your character is more charismatic to try to take a throne, you can gather your supporters, into one place (outside of the kingdom) and let an admin know that you would like to lay siege on a nation (so that we'd know that it's not just a group killing people for no reason, and make an event announcement for it). Keep in mind that the admin can delay it if some conditions aren't met (like the king of said nation not being on the server).

Another problematic rule was the one to prevent metagaming. For those who are unaware, metagaming means using real-life knowledge in the roleplay, that your character isn't supposed to know, not exactly things like learning how to tie their shoes, but more like things like where characters are and who's betraying who. In the past, we had a very strict "no sort of metagaming" idea, which got a lot of people off the server. Eventually we changed our policy to be more laid back, and right now as long as it's not a secret group actively trying to conspire against someone, and it doesn't bothers anyone neither will it bother us.

The third thing, we got some complaints about was "Fail-RP". MRP always aimed to let players have as much freedom in creating their characters as we can afford, however we had to eventually step in to prevent cases like brewing mind control potions or a medieval communist uprising (Yes, both of those actually happened in the server at one point).

I don't think that most players who happened to break the rules did it because they were "just that toxic", or because they wanted to do bad to our server. For this reason, before the reopening we went over the ban list and cleared 75~80% of it, giving most perma-banned players a second chance. Literally everyone that has been banned for breaking the mentioned rules a brand new start, surprisingly many of the once banned players actually turned into our regulars. From my point of view, as long as a player doesn't actively ruins the experience of other players, there isn't really a reason to keep them banned.

Some people think that admins are given unlimited power, which is pretty far from the truth. The admins also have their rules they have to comply. I won't say that we didn't have any bad eggs in the staff; we did have to demote a couple of people who turned out to be egomaniacs after a week or two they were given power, but I have confidence in our current team. If you feel like you have been mistreated by any of our staff members, don't be scared to leave me, or any of the super admins a message. As for myself, while I take pride in being an SA, in the sense that I get to develop something that others can enjoy, but I don't feel like it makes me feel any more "superior" compared to your average Joe. It's like you make some absolutely superb sandwiches, but you probably shouldn't tackle Gordon Ramsay.

The reason why the server is passworded, while it's very easy to get the password is to filter out the players that don't really care for the server and join because there's nothing else to play. Since there's no other way to put it, if you join MRP without actually wanting to roleplay, I'm afraid you won't enjoy it too much.

We often ask our players on what they'd like to change or see added to the game and they usually just say crossbows or hold occasional surveys, then LegoPepper, the owner of the server and I try to iron out what ideas could work and how could we adjust the server to appeal to new players, especially newcomers.

The last thing I want to address is that we're not really big fans of drama. I don't really know why people suspect us to dislike other RP servers, but in all honesty, I do hope to see Draught and Snowblight make their return. The more servers and selections the game has the longer it'll stay "alive".

I'm glad you took the time to check out our server and even happier if you enjoyed your stay. If you did not, don't be shy to let us know what can we do to improve our server.

Thanks and have fun.

• I'm not changing my avatar for the server. If you don't like my avatar should of had a mod in place to set people avatars to something 'appropriate' automatically
  • I should be able to traverse the build with the sole intent on server exploration, and not be considered an 'issue'
  • The whole 'beta test' thing is a straight up lie. No one who plays the server (admins included) could tell me what is actively being tested. The only reason they password the server is to keep out new players

these reasons are why i don't like the server

• I should be able to traverse the build with the sole intent on server exploration, and not be considered an 'issue'

You are able to do just that, in-fact it's highly encouraged. The only exceptions to these are the ones that the players themselves limit off.

• The whole 'beta test' thing is a straight up lie. No one who plays the server (admins included) could tell me what is actively being tested. The only reason they password the server is to keep out new players

It's considered a beta, because we are still experimenting with the rules, as well as adding new features. For example, the current topic of discussion is food items and healing. Right now you can will automatically heal if you're well-fed, in-addition staying on beds do too, although at a slower rate, this is to simulate resting. It's currently considered a bit too generous. Another thing is trying to figure out what would be the ideal scale limit, players like to make their characters taller and shorter than the average, however setting it too too high or too low puts you at either an advantage or a disadvantage. We're thinking of some sort of penalties that would somewhat balance these out.

Besides these, we have the usual weapon balancing issues, but the main reason it's still in beta is because we still lack many plans we'd like to implement before we could call it "finished". Of course we will still support and update it afterwards.

Keeping new players out would be counter productive, since new characters are required to keep the server fresh and alive, for now we tend to see some new faces join every now and then. It's really to filter out people who aren't interested in roleplaying. In our philosophy, if a person wanted to roleplay, they would more likely ask around for the pass and join, considered to someone who's not as interested and just wanted to join because it was near the top of the server board.

> has been up since about 3 years

It's considered a beta, because we are still experimenting with the rules
    >still experimenting with the rules
    >beta

> has been up since about 3 years
     >still experimenting with the rules
    >beta
    is that so bad? its likely all the devs are still school age/college students and so dont have the time to work on the server seriously.

is that so bad? its likely all the devs are still school age/college students and so dont have the time to work on the server seriously.
    Was tying to make a joke but I do know that

why is it whenever someone complains about a roleplay they bring up the rules that actually make it a loving rp and not something that isn't an rp lol

I do hope to see Draught and Snowblight make their return. The more servers and selections the game has the longer it'll stay "alive".
    I admire the way Medieval RP admins respond to situations or threads like this, so props to you for the way you enlightened us on behind the scenes. Unfortunately, Drought most likely won't come back since all the original admins have either been banned, demoted, or quit due to an arrogant and disobedient new host, according to people, "Killed Drought quicker then Snowblight"

Coming from a regular player of Medieval RP, I notice that most people who claim the server is trash, have bad admins, etc tend to be problematic users or one of those behavioral players that minge on other servers to benefit their own. It makes no sense to call a server trash, biased, or unfair when you joined the server to misbehavior and get banned in the first place.

Even family RP was better in a way, it had good rules and actually didn't ban people forever for just saying brb.That is exactly what I did on the server, one time I went over to the other base and people started attacking me so I tried to defend myself and I even got banned for that.
    No, Family RP wasn't better because it's a meme server status in the blockland community BECAUSE of the lack of good rules. No one has ever been banned forever on Med RP unless they've NEVER had an intention to role play accordingly and has been banned on several occasions. Accidents and going AFK are not against the server rules unless it is deemed worthy of a warning or ban.
    • I'm not changing my avatar for the server. If you don't like my avatar should of had a mod in place to set people avatars to something 'appropriate' automatically
    That's the point of a role play, your ability to create your own story and character that follows server guidelines and you do have the ability to explore the server, it isn't considered an issue.
    « Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 04:50:48 PM by Beyond Neptune »

my own two cents: medrp seems more like a server for a large group dnd-esque rp, run by a team of dms, rather than a server for randoms to join in/participate. every time ive been there, i ended up never participating in the rp as it would have required a lot of effort, only explored the build on my default avatar and grew a few crops

rping is honestly only fun with close friends

rping is honestly only fun with close friends

lenny face .  Jpeg

The whole purpose of medeivel rp is for the admins to roleplay as power hungry lords and scrutinize every minor imperfection any player exhibits. It'd be a safe bet to say that half or more of the admins have some form of high functioning autism

the only people who play roleplay servers are either the admins conned into building, powertrip admins who like to hurt small animals or serious roleplayers who are into epic erotic roleplay