5 (14.3%)
haskell
2 (5.7%)
javascript
2 (5.7%)
other: state in post
4 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: [poll] considering learning a new coding language over the summer what do  (Read 1616 times)

to give myself something to do over the summer im thinking of learning a new programming language, which one of the above listed should it be

haskell because it sounds like hell

LUA, for Roblox and Garry's Mod

Do you have any past programming experience? What is the other language(s) you know?

Do you have any past programming experience? What is the other language(s) you know?
i know some decent java and thats just about it

I would say maybe start with c# then. If you are comfortable with programming concepts as is maybe try out c++. Both these languages are super useful but it also depends on what you plan on doing with it too.

lua : make a cash grab in roblox and gain infinite income

I would say maybe start with c# then. If you are comfortable with programming concepts as is maybe try out c++. Both these languages are super useful but it also depends on what you plan on doing with it too.
if he knows java he wont learn jack stuff with c# considering its the exact same language just better

c++ is really useful but also can confuse you quite a bit if you dont start with c concepts.

lua is literally only for making roblox/garrys mod servers and thats mostly useless but fun

assembly is really hard because theres barely anything you can do with it considering every cpu has its own version. It's really interesting to learn though and goes along well if you want to learn computer architecture or build a compiler in C/C++ but this is not really a beginner task.

python is really fun to write and learn since you can do so many things really quickly. one day you could smash out an opengl 3d video game and the next you could be writing a runescape bot, its really quick to pick up and fun to use.

no one uses haskell, if you want to learn a functional programming language look at scala

javascript is required for any web app ever and is really growing in the past years so you can look nodejs/react/every other javascript framework if you are interested in making web apps (a lot of this is cross-platform so you can do mobile development with this too if you want to learn that)

in the end, it depends on what you want to learn, every language fulfils a niche area of software development and its up to you to use the right tools for the job. my advice to you is to find something you want to make(web app? mobile app? simple video game? automation script?) then choose the language based on that.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 11:52:47 PM by Aide33 »

C# is the peak of all programming languages ever made. all other languages are completely irrelevant in its powerful presence. C# isn't just an improvement on Java; its an improvement on every programming language. there is nothing out there that has more features or functionality than C#. need to root around and change the program's compiled data on runtime? reflection. need to read through a massive list and sort it alphabetically, numerically, by value, by date of birth, and remove any entries that are green? LINQ. C# also has null conditional and coalescent operators so you can keep your entire program safe from null values without having to write conditionals everywhere to check for them.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 03:14:08 AM by PhantOS »

i will code my computer to have more battery life

Python, theres too much utility to pass up on. Its easy to pick and you'll have plenty of projects to work on along the way.

Javascript, unironically. It's easy to learn and do things with it right off the bat, and it has presence on essentially every platform. And with tools like Electron and Apache Cordova, it's possible to build native apps for every major platform.