[BG Official] Brickadia Hate Thread

Author Topic: [BG Official] Brickadia Hate Thread  (Read 50958 times)

why would anyone want stuffty disgusting ports when you have buildable vehicles
i hate buildable vehicles

it's the only thing I'm dreading about Brickadia is that they really want buildable vehicles, and I loathe those

gotta wait and see tho, and I've talked to the devs before about it

RTB 1.x tried to have buildable vehicles, but you couldn't place bricks where you wanted to, only in certain, and sometimes odd positions, so if Brickadia can actually pull that off, then the child in me that enjoyed just customizing vehicles in Lego Racers is all for it

I'm just curious if building on the base vehicle will actually affect it's speed, weight, and ability to turn

And considering that Brickadia is planned to be a moddable sandbox game, there should be no reason that you can't model your own vehicles, buildable or not
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 12:53:36 AM by Masterlegodude »

im fine with modeled vehicles but imo id rather it not be the super main focus in terms of vehicles

buildable vehicles are really loving good and the idea of building vehicles and other things straight from lego instructions is amazing
(why model that snowspeeder we have in bl when we can build it etc)

I'd only like 100% buildable vehicles if it has 100% the freedom and brick variety that IRL lego has, otherwise it's stuff

I'd only like 100% buildable vehicles if it has 100% the freedom and brick variety that IRL lego has, otherwise it's stuff
this

Not sure, why I got banned. I still don't even know what the problem was man. All I did was play HL2:DM and say hello. Anyone else experiencing this?

I like to think of this thread as a bunch of people concerned about the future of Blockland satirizing the negatives of potential successors because they genuinely care that the same features will be present. Instead of thinking of it as "brickadia hate" think of it as "alright brickadia, how are you going to live up to what Blockland was with all (these) potential issues?" If Brickadia offered all the same things blockland had, there would be no concern and nobody would hate it probably. It's kind of cute because a lot of effort was put into these memes to make the problems clear, they obviously acknowledge brickadia is a worthy project with potential and this is a roundabout way of voicing concerns.

In my opinion, I think it's awesome that a complete brick renderer and building system was remade in a modern engine and it's exciting it performs so well. What we see in Brickadia now is just a glimpse of what Blockland 2 could be, kind of doing what the other successor projects did except they passed the hurdle of rendering performance. That said, what's implemented so far isn't terribly difficult to pull off if you know what you're doing, and personally I think it's just one of very many filters to become a great Blockland successor.

Modding is everything. The torque game engine nailed it on the head when it came to raw moddability and I think we all got extremely lucky to see a sandbox game made in an engine that allowed nearly complete mutability of existing systems which was also made easy with a simple, easy to learn scripting language. Modding in Blockland is powerful thanks to the package/parent system as well as a lot of things being mutable at runtime.

I do not see the same basic system in Brickadia and it's one of my primary concerns when talking about it. The devs have put modding on hold for now since they're waiting what epic games is going to do with a hinted scripting language. Even if something comes out, though, it doesn't mean it will have the necessary features to support extensible modding, it might just be a textual representation of blueprints for example, and while that makes things better it still doesn't have hooking like torquescript did. Overriding functions or changing existing functionality seems to be a taboo in any modern engine scripting because, while powerful, it opens many doors to conflicts (hooks overriding hooks, like Blockland add-on conflicts) and it's really only a feature that communities like us would take advantage of, so it's not a primary feature companies want to develop. Amazon lumberyard for instance has Lua scripting but doesn't implement a good system for changing existing functionality, only adding more.

I think if modding were the primary focus for a successor project, there'd be a standstill for a long while because no modern engine besides like torque 3d supports the things we want which puts developers in a bind because it's a sacrifice between either modding or a feature rich engine. It's one or the other since adding modding to modern engines would be a massive undertaking, and making an engine like torque 3d to par with others is also a massive undertaking. The ultimatum then is to just wait and hope for the best. Currently there's no other option and the Brickadia devs are doing the best they can with what we got.

the upside is that if they end up implementing moddability similar to what torque had in blockland, the devs would instantly get poached by epic games for fat stacks of cash

tbh i'm just going like "brickadia, no matter how much stuff you add in, no matter how much better the game engine is, no matter how pretty it looks, no matter how many players are on, you can never dethrone blockland, blockland is and always will be the best sandbox game that involves building with lego knockoffs."
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 04:15:23 PM by SuperMalleo64 »

Brickadia with full mod support will be leagues better than blockland

brickadia with full mod support made by a team of modders that aren't going to be antagonistic toward modders will likely outclass blockland

whos being antagonistic here

whos being antagonistic here
i was talking about blockland lol

brickadia with full mod support made by a team of modders that aren't going to be antagonistic toward modders will likely outclass blockland
everyone has expectations and demands that can either be met or ignored at the creators discretion. I don't think it's really antagonizing, people just naturally want things and when they don't get what they want they are unhappy

realistically we probably wont get as deep as blockland as val explained. i think what we can expect is things like weapons, maybe a certain amount of minigame stuff, and probably generic asset addons like extra hats/bricks/vehicles/etc

what would make it absolutely replace blockland tho is adding hooks into things like placing/removing bricks, applying uniforms, spawning, player movement controls, and triggers. even without going as deep moddability-wise as blockland, they can add enough hooks to enable real gamemodes like farming, trench wars, RTS/turn based strategy, board games, etc. since they largely only need hooks into pretty basic stuff that can be selectively exposed. a lot of the best gamemodes in blockland are independent scripts that guide certain interactions/restrict certain actions rather than rewrite the majority of the fundamentals of the game.