Author Topic: Dilbert's TOURNAMENTS!!!!! - Season 1  (Read 2044 times)

JOIN THE DISCORD TO FOLLOW PROGRESS:
https://discord.gg/AppMD9p

so scenery's tournaments was really good and it never really saw public light or anything. often people would host semi decent tdms and stuff and it would just make me miss tournaments. since then i've been trying to replicate the classic tournaments recipe as best as i can and introduce new mechanics and playstyles that mesh well together. several days and @mentionableprogrammer mentions later i now have a pretty good core game loop that resembles that of the original tournaments. it may look different and play slightly different but it still has the same potential for competitive play.

the loadout system is the same as original tournaments: you choose a primary weapon which focuses heavily on one mechanic of the game, and you choose a secondary, which helps guide your playstyle or complement your current primary. a few classic weapons are missing or have been combined together to form more basic primaries, or are planned for the future. scamming exists again, matches have timers and whoever has the lowest health by the timer running out loses. or whoever dies first. winners get to move up and fight the other winners, while losers sit around and do nothing until losers bracket exists.

a few cosmetic things are missing. theres no music, no amazing hat system or economy, no trading or betting or titles. its just raw tournaments with the bare necessities. a lot of that secondary stuff will be added later once the core loop is more refined and the weapons more balanced. this is all in its early stages and like original tournaments, a lot of those superficial features didn't fully exist in the first iteration.

the end goal of this tournaments project is to keep the code clean, dependencies minimal, and the design modular so no matter how far into development this gets, I will feel comfortable releasing it on the forums as a public add-on. whether i finish this gamemode or the gamemode finishes me first, rest assured it'll end up publicly downloadable so others can enjoy and modify it to their hearts content.

Credit hierarchy
  • Gytyyhgfffff - set the bar for server gold standard. this wouldn't exist without him
  • Bushido - modeled like everything. invented balance with his bare hands

• Phanto - code, models, maps
  • Charles - maps, style
  • Irrel - bracket generation, weapon code, models
  • Celau - maps, code, suggestions

• Crazey - heater cannon, maps
  • sherif - maps
  • redconer - maps
  • Conan - code and balance consultation
  • Valcle - code consultation, volley missile

Server will be up this weekend, probably tomorrow afternoon because thats when i wake up. server is hosted in US east on a VPS so you'll get good ping unless you live in hawaii. right now the capacity is 16 players but hopefully once more maps come it'll be 32
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 12:11:46 PM by Dilbert »

ah i love it already. the relatively basic vibe it's got atm takes me back to simpler times. hope this goes far!
the end goal of this tournaments project is to keep the code clean, dependencies minimal, and the design modular so no matter how far into development this gets, I will feel comfortable releasing it on the forums as a public add-on. whether i finish this gamemode or the gamemode finishes me first, rest assured it'll end up publicly downloadable so others can enjoy and modify it to their hearts content.
oh hell ya

server is up right now. please join

Stop winning, Blades.

server was so popular people were trying to start their own tournaments servers with multiclients in order to bump it up the server list. ironically still had less playrs than mine :}

again thank you all for playing. all the balancing issues will be sorted out soon

season 1 will be shutting down in 8 hours for the rest of the week so if you got some fun to have do it now before its down :}
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 12:11:32 PM by Dilbert »

can i be permabanned from this server please

--- Season 1 Report ---

Champions:
Mel the Frog [Grand Champion]
Velor
jyvot
Skill4Life

Tier List:
Warhead Launcher
Missile L
Landmine Launcher
Super Shotgun
Micromissiles
Alloy Cannon
Sawblade Rifle
Sniper Rifle
Gas Op Rifle
Neo Revolvers

Peacekeeper
Shotgun
Beam Rifle
Rotary Grenade
Fireball Rifle
Spear
Grapple Bayonets
Rocket Punch
Gravity Missile
Nailgun

Bugs:
Dying after match ends and before match starts will start the next match against nobody.
Bracket ab slightly disorganized
Sometimes people spawn without weapons

Thanks for playing this weekend. Learned a lot about some of the current weapon balances and bugs in the code, hopefully all of them will be ironed out by next weekend.

nice tiering!  now add the current version of gravity missile