[NEWS] Alabama woman gets shot and loses baby, convicted for manslaughter

Author Topic: [NEWS] Alabama woman gets shot and loses baby, convicted for manslaughter  (Read 1246 times)

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2019/06/woman-indicted-in-shooting-death-of-her-unborn-child-charges-against-shooter-dismissed.html

A woman whose unborn baby was killed in a 2018 Pleasant Grove shooting has now been indicted in the death.

Marshae Jones, a 27-year-old Birmingham woman, was indicted by a Jefferson County grand jury on a manslaughter charge. She was taken into custody on Wednesday.

Though Jones didn’t fire the shots that killed her unborn baby girl, authorities say she initiated the dispute that led to the gunfire. Police initially charged 23-year-old Ebony Jemison with manslaughter, but the charge against Jemison was dismissed after the grand jury failed to indict him.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 11:03:08 AM by Aide33 »

According to the article, they shooter was acting in self defense, so they are not to blame for the death of the baby. Who is it then?

According to the article, they shooter was acting in self defense, so they are not to blame for the death of the baby. Who is it then?
I think it has more to do with either:

you don't believe the baby is a human => the charges should at least be assault

if the baby is human then imagine if she was hanging out with her child, or two children, or three (if there where twins or whatever). is it right to open fire into a family out of self defense? some people could argue it's a disproportionate use of force considering the circumstance.

or if you are defending yourself, should you be responsible for bystander casualties?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 11:22:54 AM by Aide33 »

I think it has more to do with either:

you don't believe the baby is a human => the charges should at least be assault

if the baby is human then imagine if she was hanging out with her child, or two children, or three (if there where twins or whatever). is it right to open fire into a family out of self defense? some people could argue it's a disproportionate use of force considering the circumstance.

or if you are defending yourself, should you be responsible for bystander casualties?

She brought a child into a dangerous situation that she instigated, she is responsible for that life and in initiating this dangerous situation, she should bare the responsibility of the loss of that life.

I actually sort of agree with master Mathew for ducking once

Well in Alabama, unborn fetuses are considered living children and I guess that in self defense scenarios you're allowed to shoot random people and have the attacker be charged for their deaths despite the fact that you shot them yourself

It all checks out. More reason not to ever set foot in alabama. I mean Lord knows who passed a bill that lets you shoot innocent bystanders in 'self defense' against a different person and not even be charged for it

Reminds me of the time some dude tried to stop a robbery in Texas by shooting the innocent store clerk and the guy just walked off and nobody got charged
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 11:58:56 AM by PhantOS »

She brought a child into a dangerous situation that she instigated, she is responsible for that life and in initiating this dangerous situation, she should bare the responsibility of the loss of that life.
don't you think this sets dangerous legal precedent?

if a woman is unequivocally responsible for her childs well being, how far do we take it to prosecute them? women have miscarriages all the time. Is a woman responsible for the death of her baby if she has a stressful job and this causes a miscarriage? what about falling down the staircase in her own home? is she responsible for taking the baby into these dangerous situations?

don't you think this sets dangerous legal precedent?

if a woman is unequivocally responsible for her childs well being, how far do we take it to prosecute them? women have miscarriages all the time. Is a woman responsible for the death of her baby if she has a stressful job and this causes a miscarriage? what about falling down the staircase in her own home? is she responsible for taking the baby into these dangerous situations?
No, there's an obvious difference between instigating a violent situation and day to day stress.

It was obviously the baby’s fault. The mother was his mech.

No, there's an obvious difference between instigating a violent situation and day to day stress.
so what about the situation where if her child would already be born and she brought him along, but then jumped behind the child as soon as he pulled a gun in self defense, do you think he should legally be able to unload into this random bystander to hit the lady? shouldn't they both be charged?

so what about the situation where if her child would already be born and she brought him along, but then jumped behind the child as soon as he pulled a gun in self defense, do you think he should legally be able to unload into this random bystander to hit the lady? shouldn't they both be charged?
If the woman backs off, by jumping behind her child, that could no longer be considered an attack, hence self defense would not apply here, and shooting would be murder/assault/whatever

If the woman continues the attack, even with her child, she's responsible for what happens

I don't know the Alabama laws, so I'm just speculating

They really don't talk about how the fight started, huh?

They really don't talk about how the fight started, huh?
I'd also like to know more details about this tbh, all the articles I've found are pretty vague

i wonder how much his life was even threatened to justify shooting her, did she have a weapon?

i have too many questions and not enough answers
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 02:38:14 PM by Aide33 »