Help me start the PC building process because I am incompetent

Author Topic: Help me start the PC building process because I am incompetent  (Read 735 times)

Hey folks, long time no see. Glad to be back with you beautiful bastards.

I’ve been heavily considering building a gaming PC more and more, so I figured this would be a good place to get some input. In short, I don’t plan on playing games very often, I’d just like to be able to play whenever and whatever without worrying about console generation. That being said, I would like to put a nice chunk of change into it because I would also like to be able to create music content on it. I have a budget of probably $900, hopefully with monitor included. Drop some suggestions for a brother.

Thanks in advance!

Im also fairly new when it comes to PC, but Im gonna place my rig as a starting point, and whether you like it or not, you can start somewhere

The price for me, due to import taxes and other stuff, went up to 1100 usd, but if you live in the USA, you can probably get a 600-800 usd price
GPU: Asus dual gtx 1060 6GB (no OC)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (auto OC, where the base clocks are 3.4Ghz, but my PC sometimes automatically pushes it up to 3.6)
MOBO: Asus B450F
Memory: 16GB 3000Mhz DDR4
PSU: CX550 semimodular

My games:
-Battlefront 2 (2017), lowest settings, 1440p, 90-100 FPS
-Battlefield V, lowest settings, 1440p, 70-100 FPS
-Minecraft (with shaders on), 1440p, 100 FPS
-Fallout 76, lowest settings, 30-60 FPS
-Metro 2033 Redux, very high settings, 100 FPS

Now my recommendations:
GPU: If you can get more money, go for 6 GB vram at least, really helps on games
CPU: Intel is better for gaming, but also a bit more expensive, while AMD offers good performance, and is cheaper, also AMD stock cpu fans rock
Memory: You can game with 8GB of ram, but I went for 16 for the extra margin. 3200 Mhz is an excellent speed for the price, but 2666 will do fine
MOBO: Make sure your mobo can support your ram speed, and that the CPU socket supports your CPU (as Intel or AMD), I don't really know what else to say
PSU: I got the corsair CXM series, which if you look into, you MUST get the gray label ones, the past generation of green label sucks

As for monitor, there's 3 main types of panels
-IPS: Amazing colors, but bad blacks, expensive
-VA: Pretty good colors and amazing blacks, cheaper than IPS
-TN: Bad colors, good contrast, cheapest

There's resolution of course, I'd say 1080p is the most common. However, once you go 1440p, you won't go back to 1080p (unless its performance related)
If you want to take the most out of your PC, go for a high refresh rate, aka Hz, aka monitor FPS. 60 is a good start, however, once you go 100, you won't go back (again)
Freesync, or Gsync are optional, but if you get it, you won't go back (yet again)

Like I said, Im also somewhat new to PC gaming, so if I messed something up, someone correct me
But yea, if you got more questions related to my PC or anything, go ahead

I've read two things on music production regarding CPU and RAM:

CPU: "Generally speaking, the CPU is where you should invest the largest part of your budget. Serious builders should be considering a 6-core CPU at a minimum or a 4-core/8-thread CPU as a viable alternative. In most situations, having more CPU cores should give you better performance."
-http://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/build-pc-music-production-audio-daw

RAM: "16 GB is likely more than you need. 32 GB is only needed if you use lots of sample-based instruments, each running Multi-GB orchestral libraries & ROMpler style plugins. Don't install more than 32 GB of RAM, for music production. Spend the money on your CPU, audio interface, video card or plugins."
-https://support.image-line.com/action/knowledgebase?ans=214
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 11:03:51 AM by Snaked_Snake »

The ryzen 5 3600 that released yesterday has the best price/performance atm. That plus a decent B450 board and you're sorted for a while

go here

http://www.logicalincrements.com/
tbh this website is stuff

I'll gladly help you with a PC, I'll shoot you a PM with my Discord contact so we can talk more there