[Blender Plugin] Blockland Save Importer (for 2.8)

Author Topic: [Blender Plugin] Blockland Save Importer (for 2.8)  (Read 9402 times)

I do plan on bringing it over to 2.79 and I definitely do plan on making it so you can specify where your blockland directory is
Sweet, when you get the directory config set up, can you add that to the updated BLB importer?
https://gitlab.com/Redo0/io_mesh_blb

Don't use the bump node, make a proper normal map for the stud (if you wanna use the stud as a normal map anyway) and plug in the normal map. Generated normal maps don't work properly in Eevee which is why they look pixelated in the material view or even the Eevee renders.

You could bake out the normal map generated from the bump node and use that, as long as you use the normal map. The normal map node is gonna work better 99% of the time :cookieMonster:

I think the normal maps are also inverted in Blender for some reason, which is why the top of the brick studs looks like they dip inward even though your light source is mostly centered, rather than going around the brick to create that look

A way to fix that would be to invert the value of the normal map's intensity

Although, why include normal maps anyway when Blockland doesn't use them?

I think the normal maps are also inverted in Blender for some reason, which is why the top of the brick studs looks like they dip inward even though your light source is mostly centered, rather than going around the brick to create that look

A way to fix that would be to invert the value of the normal map's intensity

Although, why include normal maps anyway when Blockland doesn't use them?

Why not? Looks cool.

Also I believe the green channel is the only thing inverted (from a standard normal map) so inverting a normal map entirely will produce incorrect results. If you bake a normal map in blender it'll be correct anyway.

Idea for possibly improving performance, when a brick mesh is added should I join all existing brick meshes into one? Just a thought

make that an option / preference instead

Is it possible to import prints?

Is it possible to import prints?
Not at the moment (the importer puts the spray can texture as a placeholder) but I'll see what I can do

Ok so I was thinking, I could overwrite the save bricks function in Blockland, more specifically, SaveBricks::WriteSingleBrick() to output the brick filename instead of the UI name (I don't want to rename a bunch of crap) and also make importing custom bricks easier, but I'm dumb and I don't know how to use getSubStr() to get the .blb filename from a fxDTSBrick's brickFile. For example, the save function trims out a string such as "Add-Ons/Brick_Thing/2x4x4Armor.blb" and outputs
Code: [Select]
2x4x4Armor instead of
Code: [Select]
Armor
Also I don't have a computer to test BL on so if someone could help me out that would be appreciated
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 03:02:14 PM by Ahead »

Updates

(moved to below post)

Should be out later today, depends
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 04:36:48 PM by Ahead »

New update is out, grab it here!

• Now using Principled BSDF again (forgot to mention)
  • Join Brick Meshes option, imo this improves performance (but don't expect it to load big builds faster (please help with this thanks))
  • Use Normal Maps option, for you fancy Cycles people
  • Blockland directory config in the add-on dropdown, you need to set this up when you first install!

« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 05:25:57 PM by Ahead »

ow

I'm going to try something with how ImportBLS() reads lines

>59.9 GB

what the forget kinda ram do you have

Released some minor updates with a version number and logging, also fixed that annoying warning message about deprecated stuff

still trying to figure out why everything is slow and eating up memory when loading large builds

ALSO I changed the add-on name & properly labeled it as community so remove the older one without a version number AND changed the repo name (sorry not sorry), should now be github.com/Ahe4d/io_mesh_bls
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 05:27:09 PM by Ahead »