Author Topic: Would anybody be interested in making me a barrel overheating script?  (Read 3297 times)

So basically, I need a script where you fire and an invisible model on top of the barrel slowly becomes bright red.

Example of barrel lighting up:

Credit to Rally for making the Technical machine gun, just using an image of it as an example.

After you fire a certain amount of bullets, it stops firing and starts to emit smoke. You must wait for it to cool down fully in order to fire again. The heat should also be unaffected when the gun is unmounted/dropped as well, so people don't bypass it. All this doesn't have to be exactly how I mentioned, it just needs to be good. There at least has to be the anti bypass feature though.

You will be credited for your script when I release the weapon.

We can talk more about it on Steam or Discord.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 04:09:52 PM by RockyDoctor65 »

you could just borrow the code from the machine gun although rally is not present on these forums anymore so idk if he would allow it or not

you could just borrow the code from the machine gun although rally is not present on these forums anymore so idk if he would allow it or not
Exactly why I'm afraid to borrow it. That's why I wanted somebody to make a custom script for me.

probably fine to just note where the code comes from in the description and code

probably fine to just note where the code comes from in the description and code
Yes, but you see, my coding skills aren't great and I am still an amateur at coding and borrowing scripts. Also, translating a script from a vehicle over to a weapon sounds borderline impossible for me to do at my current knowledge. I hope I don't sound lazy but I just need someone to make a script for me. The script for the gun firing and stuff like that I have been working on for a few days is pretty much finished. All I need now is a barrel overheating script. Just sounds like a nice feature for gunplay with this weapon. Plus, you don't see very many weapons (that aren't turrets) with this kind of mechanic, which would make this different from a lot of addons.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 04:48:40 PM by RockyDoctor65 »

a handheld weapon cant work like this without bot-based weapon model (or at least bot based weapon heatup model) so its a bit less of a scripting problem and more of a scripting + modeling problem/request

a handheld weapon cant work like this without bot-based weapon model (or at least bot based weapon heatup model) so its a bit less of a scripting problem and more of a scripting + modeling problem/request
Is a bot model sort of thing worth it? Or am I better off just scrapping this idea and just leaving the gun the way it is?

My experience with bot weapons is pretty glitchy. I tried your musket addon before and at one point, the weapons wouldn't fire properly, (most likely because of a conflicting addon). The console bugs made me discover that bot weapons are actually a thing.

Also, I have no idea how to make bot models.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 06:50:11 PM by RockyDoctor65 »

one thing you probably can do is length of time of gun barrel smoking after firing until it fully cools down. maybe even two types of smoke (low vs high heat). but anything regarding coloration would require a bot hands down.

id just make the mod have heat and then once that works, maybe think about overheating bot barrel or whatever

one thing you probably can do is length of time of gun barrel smoking after firing until it fully cools down.
How do I make that, though? I want to know how to make an overheating script hence why I made this topic. Or have somebody make it for me Idk, works either way.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 07:33:04 PM by RockyDoctor65 »

Also, it's ok if the barrel doesn't change color. Just all the other things I said is what I want. But if there isn't gonna be barrel coloration then there needs to be another way to tell of the barrel is heating up, like a heat meter.

Note: Won't be on tomorrow until some time around 2:00 PM, gotta work.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 07:43:59 PM by RockyDoctor65 »

my star wars blasters have a cool own system with a support File, feel free to use it if you want

one thing you probably can do is length of time of gun barrel smoking after firing until it fully cools down. maybe even two types of smoke (low vs high heat). but anything regarding coloration would require a bot hands down.

id just make the mod have heat and then once that works, maybe think about overheating bot barrel or whatever
i'm guessing swapping weapons mid-firing would be weird?
i thought the OSR did something like that though for the zoom

changing weapons mid-fire would also have the bonus of updating the icon image if you wanted

I've always liked overheating scripts they make it feel more balanced.