Author Topic: Help me understand portal  (Read 3323 times)

I know nothing of portals or quantum mechanics, And i recently came across a gif

Could this ever work?
Is this even theoretically possible?
Would this person survive?
Thank you once again Blockland community

either he would die or get trapped inside the space between the portals??

he'd get squished by his own body

Portals can't exist on moving objects, the particles would dissipate and the hole disappears, you would just get crushed between the two walls

you would transform into the 2nd dimension

I'm gonna guess that the dude would be fine. Assuming that there is still an infinitesimally  small space still between each portal/wall, and since there is now an infinite amount of portals, the dude would really be in an infinitely long tube and not be squished.

Thank you StellarNaught
You saved the world today

I'm gonna guess that the dude would be fine. Assuming that there is still an infinitesimally  small space still between each portal/wall, and since there is now an infinite amount of portals, the dude would really be in an infinitely long tube and not be squished.
from the perspective of the world looking at the portals/person
portals don't actually contain any space in them, they're more like a mirror
once there's a portal on both of your arms, your arms would be touching eachother
if they go any farther, you start getting squished by yourself

from the perspective of the person
as the portals close in, the other yous also close in
there are an infinite number of other yous, but the infinite amount of space going forward is shrinking
so the ratio of yous per space is still getting too small and you get squished

this makes me irrationally loving uncomfortable but also makes me wonder if this would ever be used as a death penalty in sci-fi stuff in the future

assuming portals could move, you'd be generating energy breaking the laws of conservation as air and matter pass through and collide with each other exponentially faster. by the time they are a foot apart there'd probably be a stream of plasma arcing through the portals and as the atoms of the portals touch you'd probably have a micro black hole. assuming all that it wouldn't really be possible for them to get closer, the energy gained by the matter passing through would increase the air pressure and push the two pistons apart.

nobody really talks about the aerodynamic part of portals. im pretty sure if you put a fan in a room with two portals you could generate an endless storm of wind that will continuously pass through the portals trying to take the path of least resistance. the space where air moved away from would become a vaccuum and new air from the other side of the room with the portal would rush in to fill its space, creating this moving wake of empty space that moves through the portals, pulling all the air with it
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 01:03:21 AM by PhantOS »

You'd definitely die being crushed. What happens to your body thereafter would be pretty interesting to think about. It seems you'd be compressing that matter into an infinitely dense two dimensional object, which immediately makes me think "massive explosion that destroys the facility". As PhantOS says you'd need an illogical amount of energy to push the two portals together.

What separates this situation from just two normal walls crushing you infinitely small?

"massive explosion that destroys the facility"
arab funny moment سخيف الله الانجاز الضحك بصوت 😭😭😭

I like how you can effectively achieve infinite potential energy with portals. Idea: If you took a 25 gram projectile, put it in a vacuum tube with two portals, and let the gravity of earth pull it through the tube for an hour, and then moved the 'out' portal to the end of a gun barrel, you could fire it with around 1500x the energy of a .50 BMG cartridge. I'm not sure how well that'd turn out once it met the air inside the barrel however.

I like how you can effectively achieve infinite potential energy with portals. Idea: If you took a 25 gram projectile, put it in a vacuum tube with two portals, and let the gravity of earth pull it through the tube for an hour, and then moved the 'out' portal to the end of a gun barrel, you could fire it with around 1500x the energy of a .50 BMG cartridge. I'm not sure how well that'd turn out once it met the air inside the barrel however.
imagine accelerating a 10 gram piece of metal in a portal vacuum to 99.99999% speed of light over the course of 353 days and then one of the interns accidentally shuts off the bottom portal and destroys the planet

interestingly enough you could actually compound the speed by just putting the bullet inside a smaller vacuum that you let fall inside the larger one. assuming portals can travel through portals, you could have the bullet accelerating and 9.81m/s^2 relative to the small vacuum, which is also accelerating at 9.81ms^2 through the larger one. and now your bullet is actually accelerating at 19 m/s^2 relative to us. then it would only take like a few month to reach near light speed
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 02:46:58 AM by PhantOS »