Anyone know how to force a programme to always use all cores?

Author Topic: Anyone know how to force a programme to always use all cores?  (Read 1223 times)

Some games seem to like to open using only 1 core and I'd like to know how I can force them to use all cores.

generally speaking, you can't. games have to be designed to use multiple cores at the engine level

generally speaking, you can't. games have to be designed to use multiple cores at the engine level
Well these games do support multiple cores, it's just for some reason they're constantly set to only 1 core which makes the game noticeably perform worse.

this

you just can't lol, unless if the game is designed to, it just won't work or zero improvements will be seen

this

you just can't lol, unless if the game is designed to, it just won't work or zero improvements will be seen
Well these games do support multiple cores, it's just for some reason they're constantly set to only 1 core which makes the game noticeably perform worse.

Mobo Drivers up to date? BIOS?

Mobo Drivers up to date? BIOS?
im pretty confident this is not a bios or driver issue
games have wildly varying implementations of multi-core support. some give specific tasks to each core, which would explain why 1 core is being heavily utilized compared to the others. you may wish to list the games that you're trying to play.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 02:14:36 PM by Mr Queeba »

im pretty confident this is not a bios or driver issuegames have wildly varying implementations of multi-core support. some give specific tasks to each core, which would explain why 1 core is being heavily utilized compared to the others. you may wish to list the games that you're trying to play.
The thing is, when I go to set the affinity, it shows only CPU 0, so it's not about usage, just being enabled in general.

The 2 games I've seen it on so far are Roblox and The Phantom Pain.

Roblox does not need multi core support

Its roblox

Roblox does not need multi core support

Its roblox
Have you seen how badly optimised some of the games are though? Despite having graphics settings on 5/10 I can still drop down to 40.

yes roblox does not use all cores and its loving annoying

Having a program use more than one CPU core requires something called multithreading. Multithreading is essentially when you design the program to divide up the work into a number of separate 'threads' which all do work independently and typically report back to a primary thread that coordinates the efforts of the other threads. Multithreading requires the program to be specifically designed with this split-effort mode of work in order to use more than one CPU core. For this reason, there really is nothing you can do to make a program do its work on more cores. The program simply has to be made that way by the developer.