Linux is absolute trash, and the community is made up of entitled liars.

Author Topic: Linux is absolute trash, and the community is made up of entitled liars.  (Read 6246 times)

Introduction & Apology

Alright, so I would like to formally apologize to everyone I tried to shill Linux onto recently. I had a bad moment with windows and decided to switch to linux.

That being said, forget Linux, and forget the Linux "Community".

People like TLG will walk up and sell you a sack of stuff and call it gold.
They claim that Linux is Easier, quicker and more efficient. And up until I made the jump, I didn't understand why.
Not why it was all of those things, but why they say it's all of those things despite the fact it's clearly not.

Linux is not easier, it's not faster, it's not more efficient, it lacks compatibility. So why pitch it and push it? Well, emotional reasons are definitely to be expected, but it's more than that.
Let me put it this way, if you had a bad experience or two with a car, would you immediately chuck that son of a bitch in to the trash and go buy some off brand stuff? no, reasonable person would.

Now, if this off brand stuff had been pitched to you as second coming of christ on wheels, and everywhere you read and heard about it, on a surface level, said the same thing... Then you might be inclined to checking it out. And then, they drop the ultimate bomb, cast the ultimate hook, something that will make you say "fine, i'll try it I guess."

"IT'S FREE"
gee, where have I heard that before...

But unlike the obvious micro-transaction caveats of "free to play" games, the catch isn't so obvious, but it will dawn on you.

Start up and First Impressions

This is nice, I guess. Depending on your distro, it can look different because of desktop environments and all the options that you have there. But for simplicity sake, I'll just talk about XFCE on Ubuntu, since I used Pop!_OS with Xubuntu. It took a little bit of terminal usage, not intuitive but it worked.

However, you'll notice that it looks a lot like a mac in appearance, but it's more window's like in functionality.
None of this is really that strange or unusual, and finding specific applications was an issue until I installed whisker...

Okay, sounds all good right? but each time I want to add a piece of basic functionality, it feels like I'm justifying it with "well it wasn't that hard."

But once this is all set up it'll all be alright, right?

Right?

Applications and Snowballing

Every, single, application needs to be built or installed via the terminal or the package manager. In this case the package manager is the Pop Shop.

Not bad, not bad. But some things need to updated, I'll just let it update...

Needs to restart cool, I'll just restart and-

what... what's this? where's my OS?!

Now from here, basically my OS is toast. (Btw this screen as functionality, if you hit a specific combo of keys, it basically brings you to a terminal screen.) I tried following guides and online posts on anything to get this back to normal. Resetting the Kernel, new drivers, disabling drivers etc.
Nothing.

Well stuff, I gotta reinstall my OS, I guess...

Start Up and Fir- wait...

This is okay... i guess. I mean it wasn't too hard the first time, I'll just get everything back to the point I was before.

Maybe I should install those new drivers this time, the guide said this was the issue. If I pre-empt it, maybe it will work out better.

Well, I guess I better restart and... oh no...

forget, not again...

(This cycle continues for several installs as I try to figure what the issue is, in vain...)

What happened, why? This is bullstuff. I was told it would be easier...

Linux Liars and Angry Anarachists

Well, it started to occur to me, as I was watching these Linux user videos, what was going on, what happened. They've basically drank their own kool-aid and refuse accept they're wrong. None of their issues with Windows that they ever mention expand past BSoD memes and "Microsoft is Spying on me". Notice something wrong? these aren't real consistent issues, these are semi-political and issue specific problems. They're not issues with design, compatibility or intuitive usage.

These are people who have become so upset with Microsoft's stuffty practices that they're willing to throw away any iota of common sense, just to destroy Microsoft. They also make these crazy claims that "Linux is the Future of X" and it will somehow surpass Windows' 78.58% market share with their 1.76% market share. This is Windows Derangement Syndrome. There is no reasoning with them. They'll claim "Linux is Fast". But Linux is basically as fast as a car speeding into a brick wall. They'll claim Linux is compatible, you just gotta install this, and this, and this and that and this and that and then... You get the point. Linux is a clunky OS that requires users do absurd amounts of research to make it even comparable to windows.

Linux is better than windows*
*Most Assembly required.

Linux is not Human Friendly, and the Linux Community is made up of Fraudulent salesmen with a vendetta against Microsoft.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 03:21:28 PM by Master Matthew² »

Current Desktop OS MarketShare Chart (OCT 2019)

« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 03:34:53 PM by Master Matthew² »

Lesson of the episode: Don't listen to neckbeards on the internet

How do you forget up installing Ubuntu? I was able to dual boot it easy on my laptop 7 years ago and it never wiped itself at any point.

all this proves is that windows is more user friendly

i dont want user friendliness, as a software dev, the tools on linux and the environment i can set up are way better than i can do on windows.

i do like windows though and one massive issue i think the linux community should work on is making stuff waaay more user friendly

How do you forget up installing Ubuntu? I was able to dual boot it easy on my laptop 7 years ago and it never wiped itself at any point.
also this lmao

EDIT: also im not sure that graph of OS share is even accurate, android is linux and there are more android phones in the world than any other computer
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 03:31:47 PM by Aide33 »

Apparently, Nvidia/Intel are Okay when it comes to Linux, but if you play for red team, which my secondary PC is, then you're basically forgeted.

Basically, the best I can understand is that updating the Kernel breaks the AMD video drivers, but updating the Drivers breaks something else.
I ran into this issue each time I tried to use Pop!_OS 19.04, and it kept leading me to a dead end.

I'm sure if I kept going, I could eventually fix it, but that really isn't my point. If Linux is so superior, why does it always lead to jumping through hoops to accomplish the same things windows does without all the technical gymnastics?
EDIT: also im not sure that graph of OS share is even accurate, android is linux and there are more android phones in the world than any other computer
That Graph is strictly Desktop OSes, sorry, should have specified.

Apparently, Nvidia/Intel are Okay when it comes to Linux, but if you play for red team, which my secondary PC is, then you're basically forgeted.

Basically, the best I can understand is that updating the Kernel breaks the AMD video drivers, but updating the Drivers breaks something else.
I ran into this issue each time I tried to use Pop!_OS 19.04, and it kept leading me to a dead end.

I'm sure if I kept going, I could eventually fix it, but that really isn't my point. If Linux is so superior, why does it always lead to jumping through hoops to accomplish the same things windows does without all the technical gymnastics?That Graph is strictly Desktop OSes, sorry, should have specified.

My laptop had a Radeon HD 5650, an amd card and I had no issues. As for the rest of what you posted.

In my experience Linux did what I told it to do, but at the end of the day it IS a computer so you have to be specific when you want it to do stuff. That's more then I can say for Windows half the time, where they somehow made task manager worse compared to windows 7, and since the OS is such a bloated pile of garbage it will forget up for no reason whatsoever because the whole system is a tower of ducktape.

That being said I main windows because all the important programs natively run on it, hardly the fault of Linux and more the fault of Microsoft's disgusting business practices from the 90s.

I've used both Windows and Linux (specifically ElementaryOS since it has waaaayyy more UI for stuff)

Linux is a huge loving pain in the ass to get it up and running to what you want, took me 3 tries cus i kept loving something up, but once you do, it works fine.

My laptop had a Radeon HD 5650, an amd card and I had no issues. As for the rest of what you posted.

In my experience Linux did what I told it to do, but at the end of the day it IS a computer so you have to be specific when you want it to do stuff. That's more then I can say for Windows half the time, where they somehow made task manager worse compared to windows 7, and since the OS is such a bloated pile of garbage it will forget up for no reason whatsoever because the whole system is a tower of ducktape.

That being said I main windows because all the important programs natively run on it, hardly the fault of Linux and more the fault of Microsoft's disgusting business practices from the 90s.

That may have been you're experience, but it was certainly not mine. My build had an AMD Radeon R7 260X, and for some reason this basically forgeted over the entire experience. Everything was fine until one little thing broke it all. I'm a programmer, I have no issue with jumping through hoops to get things to work. And like I said, I probably could if I wanted to. But that's not why I decided to try Linux.

I decided to Try Linux because the community told me it was Superior to Windows in pretty much every way, it would make my life easier and it would be an overall better experience. but what I found was the complete opposite, I've never had to reinstall an operating system so many times in a row. This is false advertising and misleading to the user.

Honestly, if these people are so fed up with Microsoft's antics, then they should have looked at ReactOS and not Linux as the OS to kill Windows. Even then, it's still years away from even competing.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 03:45:17 PM by Master Matthew² »

I don't know why you would listen to fantards in the first place. Windows elitests and mac elitists say the same stuff. The advantages of Linux is that you have absolute complete control over the OS and you can customize it in any way you want, not that it works out of the box, being bearbones is kinda the whole point of Linux. That's why people who actually know what they're doing when it comes to the OS laugh at Ubuntu because compared to other kernals it's bloated trash that's restrictive by comparison.

I don't know why you would listen to fantards in the first place. Windows elitests and mac elitists say the same stuff. The advantages of Linux is that you have absolute complete control over the OS and you can customize it in any way you want, not that it works out of the box, being bearbones is kinda the whole point of Linux. That's why people who actually know what they're doing when it comes to the OS laugh at Ubuntu because compared to other kernals it's bloated trash that's restrictive by comparison.
yeah idk why you would ever use something like ubuntu compared to other OS's like arch and the like

Like Mathew instead of just throwing in the towel you could've asked for help from one of the Linux enthusiasts here.

I, for one, have never claimed that Linux was easier or perfect.
It has a learning curve. So does Mac, and so does Windows (Most of us just grew up on one or the other and don't think about it).
It can (and does), fail. It's software. If you're saying you've never once had Windows or OSX go wrong for you, then you're very luck.

I've had systems fail catastrophically, and without the knowledge of the underlying system, I probably would have had to start over many time. That's not something I would expect the average user, or a beginner to be able to do.

Linux is easier than ever.
That does not make it easy.
To be fair, I've had just as much (if not more) trouble with Windows in the past, but that tends to be much easier for most people to handle on their own, as they already know how to use Windows.

My systems run well, are stable, secure, and do exactly what I want and need them to do.
That's after many hours of work to get them how I want.

If you want easy, there's no such thing, sorry.
If you want easier, go with what you know.
If you want the freedom and power over your system that comes with Linux, I highly recommend you you try it, but be prepared to learn when something go wrong. It's not hard to start, it's not even really hard to learn, but it is work.
And, to be clear, by freedom and power, I mean the low-level control and access afforded by a UNIX-like system and the ability to modify your system's functionality at a source level, not some magical power you get for running Linux specifically. This is not something everyone can or will even use, and if you don't need it, and there's better opportunity elsewhere, I encourage you to go to whatever system best fits your needs.

Again, anyone who is curious about using Linux, I highly encourage you to try, and I offer my help to anyone struggling with Linux, but it's up to you if you want or need it, and I'm not all knowing or all powerful. It's not Windows, it's not MAC (Though it's closer to MAC OS X than Windows), and if that's what you know, you'll be learning something new, so be ready for that.
If you'd rather stick with something else, that's fine. We're not elitists (for the most part, Gentoo or Arch excluded).

inb4phantos
Indeed.