Good way to learn linux/Bash (and rant)

Author Topic: Good way to learn linux/Bash (and rant)  (Read 3348 times)

I have a Linux exam next week and my professor sucks at explaining it and I don't understand a single thing about it.
Good ways to learn? I have a VM set up but its slow as forget. Like it just freezes when I start firefox. My good computer is at my dorm but I have a week off school to study so im at home.

Dumb loving rant
Like why do I even need to learn linux. Its so loving stupid. "bruh unpack this archive" on windows its just rightclick and unzip. On linux you have to open the terminal, do some computer magic, type a dumb ass command after spending 30 minutes looking it up in the mans, help or on the internet because no one loving remembers it and you finally have unpacked your stuff. But jokes on you, have a gzip file? Thats another command with the same options except they all have a different meaning and do other stuff. Thats handicapped.

But muh system stability
forget your system stability. Windows 10 ran much smoother and stable than Ubuntu on my stuffty 2008 computer. It can barely play a youtube video.

But muh servers
Save yourself the headache and get a windows server

But muh open source
No one cares. As if youre going to publish a whole new distro

But muh customization
Have fun loving up your kernal trying to change the color of your clock or something stupid. Also windows has powershell or some stuff now idk

God I loving hate linux. forget you cisco.
A N G E R Y

Also the future is loving stupid

I hoped we would enjoy a few extra years before needing a dongle after apple did it but guess not.
I mean yeah I bought a small, thin and light laptop. Sure, I don't expect it to come with a ton of IO and a fleshlight build in or some sort of stuff.
But really. 2 USB's and a USB-C is just pathetic. At least it comes with a headphone jack too.

Speaking of usb-c. Why would you not loving ground/earth it. I bought your dumb ass expensive usb-c charger so I have the same charger for my phone and laptop but you don't ground it. What toddler designed this stuff? I can't use the touchscreen now when charging unless I ground the laptop.

Copy Fujitsu and do some origami type ports or some stuff idk. I would 100% pay a hunderd buck more to have more ports.

and lockdown browser can suck on my left nut
thats all. See you in another month or two. Love y'all <3

i agree i run ubuntu 16.04 and its dumb

I have a VM set up but its slow as forget. Like it just freezes when I start firefox.

Windows 10 ran much smoother and stable than Ubuntu on my stuffty 2008 computer. It can barely play a youtube video.
running a VM on bad hardware sounds dreadful
and are you comparing windows 10 in a VM to ubuntu in a VM?
or windows 10 to ubuntu, both out of VMs?

running a VM on bad hardware sounds dreadful
and are you comparing windows 10 in a VM to ubuntu in a VM?
or windows 10 to ubuntu, both out of VMs?
nvm I forgot to assign more cores and 2Gigs of ram doesn't cut it apparently (but my prof told it should but he's full of stuff so theres that)
And I forgot to turn on virtualization is bios. Its working fine now. I mostly only need the terminal anyway

I ran both operating systems outside a VM. Both we're a clean install. Windows 10 was a smoother and more pleasant experience by far

I'm taking a Linux class rn and it's so ass backwards. Idk why anyone would want this stuffty ass OS. It sucks richard.

just use the tools that improve your productivity

I use almost all OSes(except mac because forget tim apple) because they have their up and downsides.

nvm I forgot to assign more cores and 2Gigs of ram doesn't cut it apparently (but my prof told it should but he's full of stuff so theres that)
And I forgot to turn on virtualization is bios. Its working fine now. I mostly only need the terminal anyway

I ran both operating systems outside a VM. Both we're a clean install. Windows 10 was a smoother and more pleasant experience by far
Wait. Are you running stock desktop Ubuntu in 2GB of RAM?
That's asking for trouble, GNOME 3 is trash for memory management. Try a lighter DE.
He was probably remembering the good old days when your userland applications didn't eat 4GB of RAM on their own.
I wouldn't blame Linux, I'd blame the devs that think, "We'll just allocate more memory. RAM is cheap.".

Unfortunately low-memory environments have been an issue with the Linux kernel for some time now.
You can get pretty good performance with tweaking, but yes, Windows handles low-memory more gracefully out-of-box.

Also. My offer still stands.
Anyone wanting help with Linux, feel free to ask me.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 04:55:18 PM by Writer The Wolf »

literally, if you only want the terminal run the ubuntu subsystem for windows, you don't need a vm

or buy a raspberry pi

Wait. Are you running stock desktop Ubuntu in 2GB of RAM?
That's asking for trouble, GNOME 3 is trash for memory management. Try a lighter DE.
He was probably remembering the good old days when your userland applications didn't eat 4GB of RAM on their own.
I wouldn't blame Linux, I'd blame the devs that think, "We'll just allocate more memory. RAM is cheap.".

Unfortunately low-memory environments have been an issue with the Linux kernel for some time now.
You can get pretty good performance with tweaking, but yes, Windows handles low-memory more gracefully out-of-box.
I meant I only assigned 2GB's of memory to the vm because"windows needs more ram than the vm so 2 will be plenty".
The 2008 desktop has 8GB's iirc

Yes, that still means that the system running in the VM has only 2GB of operating memory.

If you're having issues running directly on the hardware though, the problem is likely elsewhere.

Linux only exists as a badge of low iq "honor"

Linux is worthless. Trying to do anything outside of web browsing is a catastrophe and always ends in some error or issue.

For example, last night I was trying to install mySQL on Ubuntu, and it wouldn't actually bring me to the screen to enter a root password, so the password was just RANDOMIZED

WHYYYYYY?!

Not sure why you guys are having a bad time with Linux a lot. I have been using it for a long time and barely has any issues for what I want. Cheap to host from a VPS too.

Linux only exists as a badge of low iq "honor"

Linux is worthless. Trying to do anything outside of web browsing is a catastrophe and always ends in some error or issue.

For example, last night I was trying to install mySQL on Ubuntu, and it wouldn't actually bring me to the screen to enter a root password, so the password was just RANDOMIZED

WHYYYYYY?!
If you are creating a database for some reason, you _really_ should be able to figure out how to setup mysql

2GB of RAM is fine for a headless server installation of ubuntu
for using chrome and youtube, it would probably struggle a lot

i've only really used it as a server, in which it works great
used it once to put youtube on a monitor from a friends desktop, and controlled it from my laptop/phone by remoting in, and it was alright, but wouldn't recommend it over windows for actually doing stuff on