Author Topic: Good way to learn linux/Bash (and rant)  (Read 3596 times)

linux be like plrrbrbrrorrproorppprbrbrbtt

sometimes i wonder how you people have so many issues with linux and then i remember where i am

personally i've had problems way more frequently with windows than linux and i've been using windows for like the past 13 years of my life

personally i've had problems way more frequently with windows than linux and i've been using windows for like the past 13 years of my life
i've pretty much only had issues with windows
i just figured i've had more issues with windows due to using it more
but like, windows has some huge issues sometimes

'tar -cvJf file.tar.xz file'

I don't have trouble with tar.
Actually, I kind of like using tar.

i just figured i've had more issues with windows due to using it more
but like, windows has some huge issues sometimes
same, but after thinking about it i think on like a frequency basis i have more problems come up with windows

like every single time i try to build a program using cmake or whatever it always just finds some way to explode horribly b/c of some weird dependency that it didn't fill correctly or some PATH variable that wasn't correctly set. linux is for sure a much better programming environment than the experiences i've had with windows

But muh servers
Save yourself the headache and get a windows server
dealing with windows licensing doesn't save you a headache :cookieMonster:

alright i have one gripe about linux

if you don't upgrade your packages like weekly then it takes forgetin forever to install all the new upgrades. that's my only issue though

if you don't upgrade your packages like weekly then it takes forgetin forever to install all the new upgrades. that's my only issue though
are you supposed to? i havent touched the update notifications in months

its probably not the most important thing in the world, its just like "good linux etiquette" or "treating your OS right" or something

You get notifications?
I removed the GUI package manager from my system because it was pissing me off.

I update my servers monthly, and my personal systems whenever it happens to be convenient.

idk something about needing an update whenever i restart, i could remove the brickadia server and the remote desktop thing and itd be a fresh install
operating systems are just property i don't have to treat them right /s

you might miss very very very important security updates so id keep on top of that

but also the only issues seem to have with linux is user-friendliness and ease of use. Those are definitely problems if you would recommend it to a larger, non-technical audience.

Those are definitely problems if you would recommend it to a larger, non-technical audience.
oh yeah totally. linux is a operating system made for programmers for programming. imo it is not the best for anything else like gaming, general purpose PC use, etc

oh yeah totally. linux is a operating system made for programmers for programming. imo it is not the best for anything else like gaming, general purpose PC use, etc
cuz like windows got the user-friendliness down so good at this point it actually surprises me how loving dumb linux devs are at making UIs