Author Topic: Melee weapon in progress, needing some pointers.  (Read 6630 times)

I have an interesting idea for a melee weapon -- a knife that can be swinged when in motion, or stabbing when still. I'm aiming to make my own model in Blender and to use animations from default weapons in Blockland. (The generic sword/hammer-fire for when its' swinging, and the spear charge and fire for the stabbing)

The model isn't complete, I'm going to give the blade a sharp taper on the front, and a curving profile.

Unfortunately, I have no solid or current experience with add-on making, as my previous attempts at guns from scratch have failed, and were lost.

Could anyone assist me? I would appreciate tips on Blender, how to source code from default items, or just some sort of template item, and maybe a guide on how to write for Blockland scripts? All forms of help, commentary, or critique is appreciated. I'm long overdue for an add-on contribution.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 04:24:29 PM by Mr.Annoying »

And for anyone wondering, this is what I'm using as inspiration. But, I'll want to put a more Blockland-stylstic twist on it.

Minor quirks in development, but here's what I've got so far.

it looeks broken

Yeah, the model's a bit broken. Just some little funny business with blender though, it will be fixed soon.

Updated the model. It's looking a bit more triangally than I'd like. Would anyone who knows how to use Blender care to input how I can remove this? I tried Trogtor's approach, https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=314929.0 but it didn't work.

On the plus side, I'm getting a good idea of how I want the weapon to be used, and I'll be going into the files soon to experiment with damage, range, and light fx.

Alpha release may be coming soon, but I still need to begin work on the stabbing feature.

So far, the knife has slicing down, the model is about finished, and custom IC and Icons have been made.

Next on my to-do list, is figure out how to make the alt fire, and later on, to implement first person animations.

If you want it to swing while you're walking and stab if you're standing still, you're going to need to do it using the image's state system. When you fire the weapon, call a state script to check if you're moving or not. If you are, set the weapon's ammo to true. After that state, check if the image has ammo or not and perform the appropriate action.

If you want it to swing while you're walking and stab if you're standing still, you're going to need to do it using the image's state system. When you fire the weapon, call a state script to check if you're moving or not. If you are, set the weapon's ammo to true. After that state, check if the image has ammo or not and perform the appropriate action.

Thanks for the tip! Does it count for when the player is jumping or falling?

If you want it to count falling or jumping as moving, just check the player's velocity. If you don't check if they're on the ground and the player's velocity. You'll need to do these checks in the state script function you call and then set image ammo appropriately.

I've kind of wondered if I should stick with that concept, or just make it a stabbing only weapon. I'd like the idea of making a weapon that deals echoed damage.

I'm also working on a second model, I'll put up a poll once the model is done, and when I figure out how to use polls.

Okay ladies and gentlemen, the knife model has been updated to fit the Blockland style more.

I have also figured out how to implement the spear's charge/fire mechanics, and I've given it a swinging noise. (For now, I may actually not use one forever.)

Here's the updated model.

The knife has gone through some more changes. I have given it the spear animation, and it's a locked fire weapon. (Meaning it charges then fires with no stops.)

I'm going to start gearing the weapon more towards being used for stealth kills.

Special thanks to Kokonut for helping me through the code changes.