Author Topic: Saturn V  (Read 2393 times)

I did extensive research on the dimensions and scale for it so I could have a pretty accurate model.

The scale chosen was quite arbitrary actually, but turned out to be the best for detail/size. It's so large in fact that it just barely clips out of render distance.

Scale: 0.3625 of the original size
Height: 2,106
Diameter: 192 (excluding the massive fins that will be added later)
Brick count: 254,973

For being my first intensive build in over a year, it's actually not terrible. I'm very happy with it and was extremely excited with the fact that I didn't get bored with it or quit out early on. I had a lot of fun with it so far! I'm taking a break before I start doing all the cones (curve-y panels and bits) because they seem challenging.

I plan to rebuild each stage/module for it's own separate display. This was the original intention but I got carried away with just building the whole Saturn V assembly. The future plan is to have the full rocket and smaller displays be exploreable (with optional teleports because of the immense size)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 03:24:44 AM by UnRegistered »

Made some progress today!

I hit the brick limit so I need to increase it next time I start the server...
A lot of that is due to my terribly unoptimized building. I'll get around to decreasing it when I finish. Maybe.

Almost done though!

this is kind of epic, it's cool to see full scale builds in blockland. it shows how HUGE this thing was! i felt like i knew a lot about rockets, but this build kind of blows me away... this thing is huge

edit: hold on.. this is ~0.3 the original size? holy stuff.. my mind continues to be blown

this is kind of epic, it's cool to see full scale builds in blockland. it shows how HUGE this thing was! i felt like i knew a lot about rockets, but this build kind of blows me away... this thing is huge

edit: hold on.. this is ~0.3 the original size? holy stuff.. my mind continues to be blown

The scale is very peculiar to calculate actually, I'm not entirely sure the exact conversion because I used a medium for creating the model before I created it in Blockland.

I studied and collected all the information from NASA's website and other sources for schematics of each stage and all the components, I sketched it out on paper as well. I then used Valve's Hammer Editor (because I'm a veteran level designer and I know how to use this program even in my sleep) to create a free from model using scale conversions.
1 Hammer unit is 1/16 of a foot. After I built a basic outline of the model I then scaled it .3625 the size in the editor. The reason for such a arbitrary value was because it lined up to be exactly 192 units/studs in diameter, so both values were equivalent in game and in editor. So I essentially made it so that 1 Hammer unit was equivalent to 1 Blockland stud.

So It should be .3625 of the real size, but seeing how it's vastly larger than I anticipated. I have to take into account that the Blockland stud isn't actually equivalent to a Hammer unit and that the player size is different from the Source Engine based titles.

Regardless if I screwed up the scaling, This size allows the proper resolution that I was looking for anyhow. I don't think I could've built this any smaller without a significant loss in quality and detail.

For whomever wants to actually find the proper scale factor go right ahead.
1 x 1 x 1 Blockland brick = 0.5 x 0.5 x 0.6 Torque units
Real Life Saturn V is 363ft tall
Blockland Saturn V is 2,106 Bricks tall