Author Topic: Tournaments Season Four: New Weapons! New Maps! Happy Birthday!  (Read 4252 times)

Tournaments has its 4th birthday on March 27th, and I thought it'd be fun to throw a little celebration with releasing a big map/weapon update. Here's our plans:
  • continue improving balance, so all weapons are on relatively equal footing.
  • introduce new secondary weapons with a focus on improving player movement. gunboats, teleports, you name it. the goal is to add some new flavor to the primaries.
  • new landmine secondary weapon, adds lots of zoning options to existing primary weapons. landmines will be very easy to locate with their characteristic beep, and depending on the placement you may be able to do some clandestine landmine removal with your AoE damage. a good landminer will be able to restrict certain sections of the map, or may even persuade their enemies to walk straight into one.
  • a healthkit secondary. takes a long time to deploy, and alerts the enemy to the user's location. daring players might use this secondary to lure enemy players into a trap.
  • 5 new maps, including a cut bushido map (now featuring less stage hazards lol).
  • we will remove hammer. nobody likes it.

I've made a lot of balance changes over the past few days. I'll try to list all of them:
  • secondary shotgun was buffed to have uniform spread and a shorter withdraw time
  • saw tomahawk was nerfed from 100 damage to 80 damage. extreme on-hit knockback was added to make it harder to chain tomahawk hits together.
  • missile l has a longer reload time, turning it from a rusher's weapon to a more precise weapon.
  • sniper rifle's bodyshot damage was increased from 50 to 70, and its shield breaker charge time was reduced from 1 second to 0.25 seconds, with a 0.75 second cooldown.
  • rocket jumper was buffed by giving it extreme air control, its now possible to actually rocket jump with this weapon. a skilled user will be able to cross the map maybe 2 or 3 times faster than someone with a gas op. self-damage was reduced, but each rocket jump adds 15 damage to your enemy's damage tally. this means its hard to scam with this weapon.
  • rocket punch withdraw time was reduced from somewhere around 0.8 seconds to 0.1 seconds
  • micro missiles were nerfed from 60 damage total to 40 damage total. takes 5 hits to kill from full instead of 3 hits to kill from full
  • slightly reduced burn motar's area damage, since by the numbers it was basically the same as the missile l except with fire

For those who have been frustrated with their ping while playing the last few days, I have just upgraded the server to a faster node. The CPU usage of the server has improved by more than double, which has been making for a pretty consistent ping at least for me.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 11:39:36 AM by Gytyyhgfffff »

• including a cut bushido map (now featuring less stage hazards lol).

Pit

are there any fun weapons like kaje sniper ephi shotgun mortarL rocketL chaosbeam rainbowizer impactLauncher or anything that isn't a generic quake wep

most quake weps in the server are modified or tweaked to bring more balance and options. its meant to be a fairly serious gamemode so really powerful weapons that work at all ranges dont have a place in tournaments (aka ephi shotgun or other fast-firing, decently high damage weapons without cooldown)

can i make and submit a map

most quake weps in the server are modified or tweaked to bring more balance and options. its meant to be a fairly serious gamemode so really powerful weapons that work at all ranges dont have a place in tournaments (aka ephi shotgun or other fast-firing, decently high damage weapons without cooldown)

can i make and submit a map
you can, since i trust you i'll just give you admin so you can do it in-server to save add-on compatibility issues. use /buildmode to opt yourself out of the tournaments and to get access to buildtools

size is the most important part and other contributors have had the largest issues with how to size their map. a good guideline is it should take around 10 seconds with a few seconds leeway to get from one end of the map to another using Valve-like Player
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 12:21:49 PM by Gytyyhgfffff »

• missile l has a longer reload time, turning it from a rusher's weapon to a more precise weapon.

i don't think anyone even noticed lol nobody had any complaints about it being underpowered

• micro missiles were nerfed from 60 damage total to 40 damage total. takes 5 hits to kill from full instead of 3 hits to kill from full
damn thats depressing

WHy;y the forget does the burn landmine exist

WHy;y the forget does the burn landmine exist
how best to do area denial than with flame

alright i can confirm, the missile l nerf SUCKS richard
im switching weps, it's that bad

i lied every other weapon sucks, i just can't play this anymore please unnerf
i dont even understand i thought we all agreed it was in a good spot
REEEEEEEEEEEEE
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 08:00:06 PM by skill4life »

REEEEEEEEEEEEE
You must play gas op or chain now. It is the only way.

You must play gas op or chain now. It is the only way.
nerfed the gas-ops horizontal boost on left click earlier this morning, reverted the rocket punch quick withdraw change i made a little ago. i think it should be a lot easier to fight this combo

REEEEEEEEEEEEE
what do you suggest doing? i don't want to revert it, since i'm trying to re purpose the missile l into a non-rush weapon. i wanted to try to make something that wasn't a rush weapon since every other weapon is basically a rush weapon

- increased gas-op dash cooldown time from 3 seconds to 5 seconds
- slightly reduced vertical boost from dash
- reduced on-hit knockback by like 80%
- no more recoil jumps from left click
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 11:46:59 PM by Gytyyhgfffff »