Author Topic: My cat passed away today.  (Read 1097 times)

Sorry for the somewhat sad posting, but I've been a part of this community for years (despite not having a very good track record) and wanted to vent.

Sadly, my two year old cat passed away today. What happened is that a few days ago she suddenly fell very ill. She refused to eat or drink water, constantly heaved and was breathing heavily, and was very lethargic. I immediately took her to the vet to find out what the deal was. Upon examination nothing seemed to be wrong with her, nothing was stuck in her throat, no obvious lumps or tender areas on her body. The vet concluded they needed X-rays to figure out more of what the problem was. They took them, and they found that my cats lower intestine was swollen and covered in a mucus(?) produced by a sort-of organ cats have. This occurs when the intestines are inflamed. Nothing obvious was clear on the X-ray, as in no foreign object could be detected, so they figured that she swallowed something such as string. Given the dire situation and the fact she wouldn't eat or drink water, we had only one choice; they had to do an exploratory surgery on her lower intestine and find if anything was there, and if so, remove it.

Long story short, they completed the surgery and told us it was a success. They did not find an object, but however found that her entrails were very inflamed and even bloody/raw in some parts. They concluded that this was inflammatory bowel disease, and the plan was the next day (3/19/20) I go pick her up, and start her on meds that induce appetite and meds for pain. Then 10 days later after she'd recovered a bit from the surgery, start her medicine for treating the disease.

The 19th came, and I woke up to an early morning phone call to be presented with a shock. My cat passed away in the middle of the night while sleeping. The surgeon himself was extremely shocked, given her age and no underlying health conditions she was an extremely low risk patient. They said they'd conduct a biopsy to find a definitive cause of death. They conducted the biopsy, and the surgeon believes her death was caused by a very rare but albeit possible negative reaction to the anesthesia. He noted that she was not recovering from the anesthesia that well despite being given a stimulant. They think the anesthesia caused an aryythmia and furthermore, heart failure while she was sleeping. This is rare, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. Like I said the surgeon and staff alike were stunned and seemed pretty depressed about all of this. As am I. I skipped work today and told them what happened, and even now am extremely shocked/sad.

I just wanted to vent, because I'm not sure what else to do right now with myself lol... I owe a ton of money for this surgery now, and am left without my cat. She was so young, and this was all so sudden that it just is kind of mind boggling I guess. Thanks to anyone who cared to read.

I also made a fundraiser for her vet bill, because it's a lot of money and I only work part time. It'll take me a while to pay this off alone and I'll be broke for a while - which is pretty bad given the fact we're in the middle of a pandemic. I don't want to post it because I'm afraid I'll be breaking a rule/afraid I'll be ridiculed for essentially E-begging. If anyone wants a link to it, perhaps just tell me here and I can PM you. I also went into much more depth on the situation on the fundraisers page and left out a few major points of discussion in my OP here, mostly for the sake of the OP not being a ginormous text wall. So even if you want it just to fully grasp my situation with a read, let me know. I'm probably breaking some stuffty rule/going to get ridiculed just for this post but whatever.

Please remember, if you have pets don't take your time with them for granted. We get a lot less time with them than we realize, especially when tragic events like what happened with my cat take place. Love them dearly while you still can...

me reading this rn

so sorry... pm the fundraiser

me reading this rn

so sorry... pm the fundraiser
Thanks for the condolences

atleast the guy passed away painlessly. so sorry you've had to go through that bro

Sorry that happened, it ain't a fun thing to go through. My 4 year old cat died last April from almost the same thing. She didn't eat, drink, or barely move. Vets said something was most likely something wrong with her liver. She hardly improving from the meds, and one special food brands the vets recommended wasn't found in stores so we had to order it. She wasn't recovering and we had to put her down. The food finally came like a week or two after she died, though i doubt it would have been a game changer.

Please remember, if you have pets don't take your time with them for granted.
yep

Sorry that happened, it ain't a fun thing to go through. My 4 year old cat died last April from almost the same thing. She didn't eat, drink, or barely move. Vets said something was most likely something wrong with her liver. She hardly improving from the meds, and one special food brands the vets recommended wasn't found in stores so we had to order it. She wasn't recovering and we had to put her down. The food finally came like a week or two after she died, though i doubt it would have been a game changer.
yep
So sorry to hear that. Yeah the surgeon didn't seem one percent certain what caused my cats death, but given her symptoms I think there were multiple things wrong with her

yep
Wonder if my cat had a liver issue, looking back on it. Sadly, picking apart an animal like we do humans would cost an ungodly amount of money - money I don't have. I'm considering not paying the rest of the money I owe the vet, or paying it off very slowly, because I feel a sense of injustice with my cats death.

Looking up stuff online, I feel like my cat could have just simply had the flu if anything... a two year old cat shouldn't just drop dead like this. Her symptoms line up directly with cat flu. But her symptoms also line up with pneumothorax... so many questions.

That sucks. I hope you loved the time with your cat and the memories you shared with them.