official aim down sight hate thread

Author Topic: official aim down sight hate thread  (Read 7258 times)

weapons with ADS always forget with ur fov and half the time the command to fix fov doesn't even work
y would u even ever need ADS just press f lmao

Why do you have such crazy high FOVs anyways, you trying to look around corners?

It's actually kinda amazing how loving slobberingly handicapped the average blocklander is. I remember trying to troubleshoot the FOV system on my weapon pack and getting people to read a number on their screen and determine whether or not it was correct was akin to herding cats. You'd think a massive loving notification that appears when you spawn that says "IF YOUR FOV IS NOT CORRECT TYPE /setDefaultFov <fov> TO FIX IT" would be enough, but it's not.

For the next update I'm probably going to have to halt the loading process entirely, like with the rules add-on, until a player has to physically click on a button on a pop-up that explains to them how to manage their FOV. For an added layer of protection I'll take that one CRPG route and detect when someone is complaining about FOV in chat and give them an automated response. I'll literally never forgive Badspot for how loving garbage the fov commands are

i can't stand toggle ADS. and with ads weapons that's always the case. also ADS with projectiles are awful to play with unless the projectile speed is REALLY fast. but blocklands speed limit isnt enough. other than that it should always be hitscan

the main thing about ads guns i cant stand is that they always are designed with one specific fov the dev of the weapon pack uses. and require you to edit your fov to either fit that gun pack or use a command to change your default fov, which in my opinion is just a hassle

they always are designed with one specific fov the dev of the weapon pack uses
This is misinformation originally spread by people who do not know what they are talking about. The most notorious offender, Gcat's weapons, always tried to capture your FOV before modifying it, but was unable to because the function is broken and nobody ever bothered to fix it. I have never seen a pack that deliberately sets it to an arbitrary value like 90.

When a client joins a server there is a moment when their client loads and their FOV can be accurately determined with the game's built-in FOV commands before it starts returning 90 for some handicapped reason nobody knows. If you try to capture this value too early or too late, FOV cannot be accurately determined. Tendon's FOV script attempts to resolve this issue by setting the client's FOV to 3.14 when they connect, and then running a loop to determine when FOV updates to the accurate value, and trying to capture it then.

On certain occasions I have noticed that:
- The client's default FOV is predicted to be 3.14 (setting FOV to 3.14 too late?)
- The client's default FOV is predicted to be 90 when it shouldn't (loop check not looping fast enough to catch the accurate value?)

Some things that can break your FOV:
- Joining the server while holding the zoom key
- Leaving the server while zoomed in with a weapon/holding the zoom key

The only remaining solution I can think of is to use the /SetDefaultFOV -fov command. This could probably be improved by then saving that value to a file, referenced by BL_ID, somewhere server-side and then accessing it again each time the client joins so they only have to do it once each time they update their FOV.

I am currently testing a method that compares eyevectors to get an accurate FOV but it's hard to account for every server's configuration especially when you throw slayer insanity into the mix
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 05:16:48 PM by Crook »

All I know is that on the TTT server that's up a lot nowadays, the FOV is always still slightly wrong even after I do the /setdeafualtfov command. Maybe I'm an idiot as I haven't been keeping up with the game or addon development much over the last couple years, but as an average user who doesn't know wtf is going on, I can vouch for the idea that I would much rather just loving press the zoom key than have an addon try to zoom for me or whatever then have to do a command to fix it, only to have it not quite fix it correctly.

It's actually kinda amazing how loving slobberingly handicapped the average blocklander is. I remember trying to troubleshoot the FOV system on my weapon pack and getting people to read a number on their screen and determine whether or not it was correct was akin to herding cats. You'd think a massive loving notification that appears when you spawn that says "IF YOUR FOV IS NOT CORRECT TYPE /setDefaultFov <fov> TO FIX IT" would be enough, but it's not.

For the next update I'm probably going to have to halt the loading process entirely, like with the rules add-on, until a player has to physically click on a button on a pop-up that explains to them how to manage their FOV. For an added layer of protection I'll take that one CRPG route and detect when someone is complaining about FOV in chat and give them an automated response. I'll literally never forgive Badspot for how loving garbage the fov commands are
just don't set the player's fov lol

Tournaments will never be the same

the FOV is always still slightly wrong even after I do the /setdeafualtfov command.
its slightly wrong because you arent putting your fov after the command :://

Blockland's FOV functions are kind of weird and broken, so there is that.
I don't hate it, but i am also not the biggest fan of them myself, but to each their own right?
Quick-Edit:
Maybe making ADS-ing a toggle-able option would be nice. :)