Author Topic: Are Shape and Detail32 really needed for models?  (Read 1611 times)

Models I made without those two entities it work fine in-game. I am using a blender exporter, btw.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 04:30:39 PM by RockyDoctor65 »

sorry if this is a stupid question.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but if you're using Port's exporter, in the vast majority of cases detail group is handled automatically and there is no need to rename the mesh names.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but if you're using Port's exporter, in the vast majority of cases detail group is handled automatically and there is no need to rename the mesh names.
Basically, you parent all objects to detail32 and then parent detail32 to shape for some reason. And yes, If I remember correctly, I am using Port's exporter.

Edit: Yes, I am using Port's. I checked my blender Add-Ons.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 10:06:01 PM by RockyDoctor65 »

i dont think you have to parent everything to shape or detail32, you just need two empties and detail32 a child of shape, though this might just be because port's exporter handles the parenting automatically. its probably just an ancient label dts uses to specify what's intended to be rendered.

I don't know what 'Shape' is, and 'detail32' is just an auto generated grouping that is used for setting that model's/object's LOD (level of detail), so no, neither of these are necessary

The 'detail###' grouping is only for swapping/hiding the model at certain distances, normally used to optimize the model by swapping the main model out with lower and lower poly versions of the model the further a player gets from it, Blockland mostly uses it to have a first-person and third-person only model for animations or details you can only see in while in first-person

If you are using ports dts exporter, you don't need either shape or detail32. you don't need a mountPoint either (unless you plan on having the mount point somewhere other than blenders scene origin

The very old Blender exporter (think 0.94 from like 2007) needed those empties to set up the object hierarchy within .dts file. The whole thing has been obsolete since 0.96b of the old exporter, so no need to fret about those things. DarkStar's tutorial probably contains references to these as that was written aeons ago.