I need help gathering all kinds of builds

Author Topic: I need help gathering all kinds of builds  (Read 2345 times)

In one of my graduate classes, I have the option to do a research project on almost any topic I want.  I have just been given permission to do a project involving Blockland.  Basically, the idea is to develop a program capable of determining if a build is spam or not.  In order to do this though, I will need lots of data to train the program on, so I’m turning to you guys to lend me a hand.  All skill levels are welcome.   You can choose to submit spam, or something that is not spam.  You are welcome to make multiple submissions of different builds, but don’t get to the point where you end up spamming the forums.  I do have some rules that I need followed for this:

1.  Try to keep the number of bricks below 50k.  This isn’t a strict limit; I just don’t want to spend the rest of my life trying to load these builds.  Small builds are welcome, but I’d like at least 100 bricks in each build.  When posting a build, put the number of bricks in the build.
2.  When you post your build, label it as spam or not spam.  Remember, I’m only trying to make that distinction, and not if a build is really good or really bad.  I am not looking for any kind of rating.
3.  Do not submit a save that contains multiple builds (like a city built by random people on your server).  These saves could really mess things up, so I don’t want them.  I just want saves that contain only a single build.
4.  It must be possible to load the build in V8 without any add-ons other than the ones that come with V8.
5.  You must only use the default set of bricks.  Builds that contain non-standard bricks will not be accepted.
6.  Don’t post screenshots.  We don’t need lots of posts with pictures of spammy builds on the forums.  Your build will be used as long as you follow rules 1 through 5.
7.  Don’t submit past April 5th, 2008.  I know this doesn’t give much time for new non-spam builds, but I will accept builds from the gallery if you can provide a link and the information I ask for in rules 1 and 2.

Also, feel free to use the following:
1.  Any number of print bricks, with any combination of prints.
2.  All of the special effect paints.
3.  Macros while building.
4.  Any map you want.  You don’t need to provide a link to download the map since I won’t need it.

If everything works out, I will possibly make an add-on that acts as a spam detector that you guys will be able to try out.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask.  I appreciate your interest.  Remember, the more help I get in gathering builds, the more likely this will work.

That would be amazing!

I will participate and post this, I made it in 5 minutes and it's 122 bricks in size and for a regular paintset. Not Spam!

I have attached my save, it loads in all Slate maps.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 09:38:42 AM by Radial543 »

Very interesting idea. I'll be interested in how this turns out.

I'll submit a build in a bit; when I'm not busy (lazy), I'll find some time.

SPAM

Here is some glorious spam for your needs. I tried to add the most commonly used abused things in BL. Damn...they make me so mad! I particularly despise the old 1x5 hut (included).

EDIT: Forgot to ask how you plan to achieve this. Are you gonna use some kind of algorithm to look for lone bricks? Weapon spawns? Be able to tell the difference between a 1x1 wall of spam and 1x2 wall of texture?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 07:28:17 PM by Reactor Worker »

Radial543, thanks for your submission.  However, I did ask that you don't bother with screenshots.  Consider that, for this thread only, the "no pic, no click" policy is suspended.

Reactor Worker, I haven't yet viewed your build, but I do hope that it isn't actually multiple builds (your post seems to imply this).  Please make sure your submission follows the rules I have set.  It will save me a lot of time if everyone submits things correctly.  Also, how many bricks are in the build?

It will be using some algorithms from my graduate level machine learning class.  Basically, I'm going to try to make an AI that specializes in identifying spam builds.  I'm not sure of the exact approach yet since I need to try a few different ones out to see which gives the best performance.

go to badspot's server. its almost always spam lol

k ill help i am on my laptop which can not play blockland so later today or tomorrow i will build a spam or non spam build. I am glad to help :D

I think it would be helpful if I gave a bit more direction to what would be helpful.  I'm sure there are lots of good builds in the gallery, so I'll probably go through some and get data from there.  The only drawback is that most of those builds tend to be large projects, and I don't want the program to get a false impression that spam is small and non spam is large.  This means that smaller or average non-spam things, like what Radial has already submitted will be very useful in diversifying the non-spam category.  I also need a good sampling of spam builds that are varied in size, color, bricks, special effects (or the lack of), etc.

The reason I ask for one build per file is to simplify things.  Since my assignment has a deadline, I don't need to spend extra time debugging code that isn't useful in getting results.  Once I've completed the assignment, however, I will likely then work on creating an add on that will also be capable of distinguishing individual builds from a server containing multiple builds so that code will be more useful in a practical environment.

I would also like to mention that I'll accept submission through April 5th, so if you submit on that Saturday, that's fine.  I just want to have the following Sunday to be able to put everything together for the project.  If this project works out, I may be compelled to apply other concepts from my machine learning class to blockland since there are so many possibilities, particularly with bots, where the algorithms from my class could make some interesting add-ons.

Am I going to get more support on this, or will I have to cancel the project?  Is there anyone else interested in this?

I'm interested but I can't build anything good, I might be able to help you with some spam but that doesn't really sounds like something you'll need help, you can make your own really, it's only spam.

There's two issues with me providing all the builds myself:

1.  I don't really have the time with all the other things I need to do.
2.  The program would have a bias towards what I think is spam and not spam.  Besides, I don't go on to many different servers, so I don't really know what kinds of spam people are seeing.

I will not help you on your quest to singularity!

Ze weenter House

This thread contains the kind of spam that blocklanders create when they get bored.
http://www.blockland.us/smf/index.php?topic=18910.0

I just realized that spam is more laggy if its transparent...