Author Topic: Hosting a server on headless Linux?  (Read 2229 times)

I got an old desktop from a friend and installed Ubuntu server on it for stuffs and giggles. Works great as a Minecraft server, but now I'm wondering if it would be possible to host a Blockland game on it.
I know it's not as simple as installing the program and running it because it's a Windows program, but I remember seeing some guys were able to get it working with Wine. Just wondering, anyone else have any experience with this? I'm interested in messing around and getting a DM or Freebuild up or something.

Install: xvfb and winehq-stable

Run: WINEDEBUG=-all xvfb-run -a wine wineconsole --backend=curses Blockland.exe ptlaaxobimwroe -dedicated -dtoken dtoken

Wow, really that simple? I thought there was gonna be all this setup to deal with the fact that it was a Windows program and wouldn't be compatible or whatever.

Thanks! I'll try it in a bit, tell you if I have any issues.

Btw, would it be a bad idea to run that command in a screen? That's what I usually do for Minecraft, got a script and everything to do it.

screen is very helpful.

screen is very helpful.
epic, thanks. just wondering since I'm pretty new to this

ok so I'm stuck on the "install winehq-stable" part. it seems that I am caught in the downward spiral of dependency hell with no escape--none of the myriad of stackoverflow answers seem to help, it always say I'm missing the wine 5.0 dependency no matter what I try. any tips?

https://wiki.winehq.org/Download

Add the appropriate repository for your distro, it should fix all the dependencies. You should uninstall whatever you've done so far if you do this.

Finally got it to install, but running the command only shows this:

Finally got it to install, but running the command only shows this:

If you're using a script or something that automatically runs screen and then executes the command or whatever, you'll probably have to make sure that the WINEDEBUG=-all is at the very beginning of the command and not somewhere in the middle.

Ok thank you, that fixed the problem getting Wine to work.
However, now I am getting this error:

You should be running the game directly via Blockland exe, not the launcher. Idk if the launcher even works right in headless mode.

I'm dumb. I renamed "BlocklandLauncer.exe" to "Blockland.exe" for some reason. Renaming it back, and then executing the launcher again created the real Blockland.exe before erroring. Using this Blockland.exe works fine now. Thank you.

Also for reference since I didn't mention it before: the reason I had trouble installing winehq was because I had the wrong repository. I was going by how the site said I needed on for my version of Ubuntu, but I was ignoring how it was saying it needed the repository for "eaon". Creating the correct repository fixed this issue.